Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reflash the BIOS or what?

Reflash the BIOS or what?

I have NF7 that has been solid as a rock for a good 5years. Three days ago at start up it boots into the BIOS, with the following message "CPU is unworkable or has been changed". Did some research and it appeared to be a bad CMOS batt. So I changed it out and all appeared fine. Fired up the next morning and same issue, same message. I have found when it has been shutdown for 10-15 minutes it will happen.
    I next was going to reflash the BIOS, but I noticed it still shows that date and version for the last update. Could the BIOS chip been damaged when the Batt died?

Thanks in advance,

CB

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    You may have gotten a bad battery as those things do sit on the shelves for years sometime.
    Learned the hard way myself.
    And clean the contacts, carefully if possible. That helped me out.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Ditto on the bad battery idea.

Thanks, I had given it a thought, but passed on it, seemed too obvious. They come two in a package so I guess I will find out if the second is also defective, if not it will probably have a short life?

Again thanks to both.

Well Gentleman, I have tried three Batts with the same results. In my research I came across an issue with similiar symptoms called a "Rootkit". Are either of you familiar with it?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Groan, best read and follow all instructions here at a sister site.
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=197917

Good morning Train,
    I see life starts early in Elma! I did some additional research and a "Rootkit" can potentially be a nasty problem. From what I read it can be a simple fix OR everyones favorite C:/format!

I downloaded two programs but have yet to try them. Ones from MS and the other Sophos? The big issue is identiying the little beggers. They can be well hidden and hard to distinquish. SO... when it comes time to delete, it can be a **** shoot.

Thanks for URL. I will research thoroughly before using.

CB

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    We have a couple people who are real good at walking folks through getting rid of nasties. Why I gave you that link. And yes, I am at that site too.

I next was going to reflash the BIOS, but I noticed it still shows that date and version for the last update.
    By this, do you mean that it already has the latest BIOS?
    Does the BIOS clock keep time?

CB, malware doesn't cause hardware problems. Pretend those batteries were cookies and one was past its expiration date. Wouldn't it make sense that the other one was stale, too?

I'm also at that other site, although not as much as in the past. One thing I can tell you: Rootkit writers don't want your computer to die. They want a healthy vehicle. They can't steal passwords from a non-working computer, now, can they.....

Go to a high-volume retailer whose inventory is likely to be recent and spend the $2 for a new battery.

P.S. - I also have an NF7, an -S v.2 and it's still a decent performer.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Thank you all for responding,

I will make this quick, so I will not be timed out.
    OT, BIOS is most current factory as far as I can tell 11/08 and BIOS clock keeps on Ticking. Just does recognize the CPU and boots into BIOS everytime.

Lgbpop, I have replaced the CMOS batt three times. Last to store asked clerk to grab a fresh package from the back shelf. With each change same results booted to BIOS.
    Per Train suggestion ran the four recommended software packages. Iwas surprised what was ferrited out along the way . MalwareBytes was the most effective, but even when runnign GMER a virus was discovered the Avir had not detected before. I have the logs for both Gmer & Hi jack this ready to post. I have reviewed but I am afraid I lack the experience to properly identify issues.

The suprise so far, i the begining F5 would reset the BIOS now it does not. I just get a message about a non workable CPU or it has been changed.

Lbgpop you are correct, the NF7 V2 is still a pretty good performer. I have a XP Mobile with a mild OC and it has been solid as rock, until my daughter loade KAZA while iwas away on business. Talk about an express way for viruses.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Does the mobo have a reset jumper and is it on the reset position or did it fall off?

Sterling,
    Yes it has a nice easy to manipulate reset jumper and it is in place on pins 1 & 2.
    I will be loading the "GMER" & "Hi Jack This" logs to the appropriate sites tonight for feedback.

I am also ready to run a program from Sophos and I have downloaded a MS program. From what I read you ned to be very careful with the MS program because it creates false postives.

I did read there are times the only solution is C:/ Format

If your clock keeps time then the CMOS battery is OK.
    There is no BIOS ROM error being thrown, so the ROM chip is OK.
    The malware issue is extremely doubtful given that this error will pop up long before the operating system even starts to load.
    Since you are running a non-native mobile CPU, you might just take the error at its word and re-install with fresh paste, or replace it. Remove the overclock. Check voltages.
    Another possibility is a bad motherboard. Have you checked for bad caps?
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195
    http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm
    You can also flash the same BIOS over top of itself which may repair some firmware corruption.

On a cautionary note, re-flashing the BIOS is the last resort, because if there really is a problem with the CPU, the flash could be fatally interrupted. However, if swapping out the CPU fails to resolve the issue then a faulty motherboard is indicated, in which case you really have nothing to lose by re-flashing.