Thread: Cross-training

Cross-training

I have spent 20 plus years doing Autocad drawings for civil engineers/surveyors and due to the economy am cross-training myself to work on computers/networking.
    My question is about A+ certification network certification. I am studying to pass both - A+ first. Is this the correct way to go about this. Almost every day I have someone (friends/friends or friends/etc.) ask me a computer question/ask why something doesn't work/etc. and most times I can fix it/explain what to do.

I am self employed and will continue to be.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance... and this is my first post on the site, hope to have many more.

Bob

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    There are 25,000+ users on this site and you will get 25,000+ different opinions.

Certs are good to show you know how to pass a test. They MAY get you an interview for a new job compared to someone who doesn't have any certs. They will NOT get you a job. They will NOT help you keep your job if you do not really understand what you are doing.

Thanks, kinda thought that. I guess I'm doing the studying to fill in the gaps and getting the certs more for my own business. I am going to try it on my own and look towards people who want someone to come to their house/business and "hold their hand" so to speak. I've worked for so long with engineers and surveyors that I might see if I can use that to get in door of some of those businesses.

Any and all suggestions will be helpful... even the ones discouraging if their is a reason given.
    Thanks again.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong. I have several certs that I got while I was in school for retraining after I got laid off from a manufacturing job years ago.

When I got my first IT interview, I was hired on the spot. I coul'd talk the talk and I could walk the walk. The ones that had no clue what to do but had a list of certs, did not last long on the job. Customers are not stupid, they can tell when you are trying to blow smoke.

Got ya... I've been around computers since the early 80's and started really working with them in 1987 - on an 8088. I knew my way around dos but then concentrated on Autocad for many years and sort of lost interest in Windows... heck never really liked it from day one but understood it's value. Now I am playing catch-up and hope to be able to pull in work within 30-45 days. I understand computers - the illogical little imps - and hope to be productive (moneywise) soon.
    The civil engineering field is so slow these days... but hopefully will turn around within 12-18 months.
    BOb