Thread: Speeding up 56K dial up connection

Speeding up 56K dial up connection

Hi every one
    My sister can only get dial up for her Internet connection and it is very slow, Is there any way we can speed up this connection.

Thank for your help in advance

Rover 45

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    What is the present speed?

Hope she is notin a area where the phone company limits everyone to 24K like here.
    Yes that limit is legal.

Past checking that the TCP/P stack is optimizing for DailUp not too much can be done.

Internet Speed Optimized - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

Some times other instrumants that are on the same line (like FAX etc.) can reduce the signal.

Temp. disconnetion of evry thing but the Modem can tell.
    cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    She can check into satellite wireless or she can move.

Just to say thank you for all your advice, I can now see it is a awkward one. I will tell her to change to satellite wireless, better than moving Sterling_Aug HA! HA!

Any way thanks again to you all

Rover 45

Quote Originally Posted by cat6 View Post
    Past checking that the TCP/P stack is optimizing for DailUp not too much can be done.

Internet Speed Optimized - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

Some times other instrumants that are on the same line (like FAX etc.) can reduce the signal.

Temp. disconnetion of evry thing but the Modem can tell.

Thanks for the link Cat6. It really speeded up my broadband.

My mom has the same problem with slow dial up speeds, about 28k. She has poor phone lines that give a lot of trouble, every time it comes a heavy rain her phone may not even work.

If I remeber correctly, you can dial any one number except 0 and listen for noise on the line. A good connection will be quite without popping, crackling or static. If you here noise you may want to try a different phone just to make sure that the phone is not causing the noise. Do not use a wirless phone.

If there is noise on the line tell your sister call her phone company to have her lines checked.

I hope this help,
    Roundman

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You could also buy a second 56K modem, pay for a second 56K dial up account, and bridge the modems for up to 128K connection speeds. Is it worth $40 a month for the two ISP accounts plus two phone bills?

Nah, I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug View Post
    You could also buy a second 56K modem, pay for a second 56K dial up account, and bridge the modems for up to 128K connection speeds. Is it worth $40 a month for the two ISP accounts plus two phone bills?

Nah, I doubt it.
    Hmm.. It can be done only with an ISP that provides such service (AKA Bonding DialUp), otherwise there would be Any Sync between the two connections and it would not double any thing (beside the expense).
    cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Food for thought-> In IE tools->advanced tab you can disable things like show pictures or animation.

Surfing would be a bit boring but a whittle bit faster
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Quote Originally Posted by cat6 View Post
    Hmm.. It can be done only with an ISP that provides such service (AKA Bonding DialUp), otherwise there would be Any Sync between the two connections and it would not double any thing (beside the expense).
    Back when I was on dialup I called my ISP and asked about multi-linking and was told that they did not support it, so I did it anyway and it worked just fine. They didn't say that it wouldn't work; they just said that they didn't support it.
    I used a Supra Sonic 2 Shotgun modem for a while and then went to a Webramp 200i router which worked a little better. It also got me away from ICS, which was huge.
    The thing now is that you can have satellite service for the price of two phone lines. Also the newer better satellite services no longer require a telephone uplink so you don't have that brutal lag and you're no longer tying up the phone.
    The only thing I found that made any significant difference in dialup speed was a new driver or a new modem, either of which can also make it worse.

I second disabling the pictures option in internet explorer. That is the only thing that makes dail-up bearable...
    Have a nice day