Thread: Advent laptop dark screen

Advent laptop dark screen

Hi, I've got a problem with my sisters laptop (Advent ert2250) screen.

The screen has gone very dark, but I can just make out some writing but it's very difficult to see.

I've plugged the laptop into a monitor and it works fine. I've googled it and think it could be the 'inverter'(???), not the screen. Is there any way of being sure before ordering parts, and if it is the inverter are they easy to fit?

many thanks...

LED screens have a fluorescent backlight. These backlight tubes burn out. While it may well be the inverter, my bet is that your backlight is shot. You should consider replacing the screen. You may be able to find a replacement on Craig's List or eBay.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You should remove the LCD screen from the laptop to find out the EXACT part number so you replace it with an identical one. It MUST be an EXACT MATCH of ALL numbers.

Thanks for the replies.

You seem pretty sure its the screen that is faulty, but is there any way of checking before I buy one?

9/10 times it's the screen, not the inverter. The only way to know for sure is to swap parts.

Unless you have replaced the lamp in a laptop screen before, it may be cheaper for you to just buy a new screen. The lamps are so small and fragile that they will break easily.

advent dark screen

just a note which may help others. dark screen then hold down Fn key and press up curser key to brighten it up. simple but only when you know. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hijamie View Post
    just a note which may help others. dark screen then hold down Fn key and press up curser key to brighten it up. simple but only when you know. cheers
    The OP did not save it was slightly dim, he said the text was so dark that he could barely see it on the screen. This means it is a broken backlight as we already mentioned.

Every laptop uses a different combination of increasing the brightness of the screen. Read the user manual if you do not know how to set the controls.

One more thing to check. There is a riboon cable that goes from the main body to the screen, often hidden in the hinge cover. After many openings and closings, this cable can become damaged, possibly cutting power to the lamp. If possible, partially disassemble the screen and hinge cover (usually one or two screws and/or popping off with a thin screwdriver). See if you can see any cracks or breaks in the ribbon wires. these can sometimes be bought separately.