Thread: Problem with dual boot.

Problem with dual boot.

Hi, bet you thought you'd seen the last of me eh? Well, it's been 3 weeks since you set my PC to rights and it's still OK.
    BUT. I have
    succeeded
    in installing a dual boot here, the main 500Gb had Vista and the
    160Gb
    HD
    Xp
    Pro. Both SATA.
    What I don't have is an
    Internet
    connection on the XP disk. BE Broadband - my ISP - doesn't see a reason but when I try their Install CD it can't detect the router.
    I do need that connection as I have all the updates from day 1 to put in, also AV and the Firewall so I don't get any more crashes like last time.

http://www.tweakvista.com/articles/3...o-dual-boot-xp

By the way, the reason for the dual boot is that some of my older hardware - still in full working order - won't work in Vista. (who's surprised to read that?)
    Any help appreciated - as usual.
    docusk
    Last edited by docusk; 06-26-2009 at 12:52 PM.
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

Uninstall their software altogether in Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. Reboot, then go to Internet Options in CP; click on the Connections tab, then click LAN Settings. Make sure all boxes are unchecked. OK your way out. (If any boxes were checked, click Apply as well under Connections, then OK.)

XP should detect your connection automatically. If it doesn't, right-click on the Network icon in the notification area (aka "systray") and click Repair. You can also accomplish this in CP from Network Connections.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

The only prog. in cp>add/remove progs is MS Office SBE so left that alone. Did the reboot (though nothing had been altered) then went into Int. Options>connections>LAN settings and unchecked automatic detection, apply greyed out so just unticked and re ticked something on options and then clicked apply.
    still nothing in systray apart from the activate warning icon and remove hardware icon.
    So, napoo for that LG.
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

Try going to Control Panel | Network Connections and make sure your connection(s) are enabled; if not, highlight them and enable them from Network Tasks (the left-column menu). If a problem is noted, highlight the appropriate connection and click Repair this connection under Network Tasks on the left.

No that didn't work.
    I now have the laptop up here and I'm looking at the thread.It's also running XP so I can have a look and try to replicate.
    Slight problem as it's normally on a wireless connection but I can try to get on as with the main PC.
    I tried it witn an ethernet cable and removed the PC card but it still doesn't let me connect and certainly can't detect the router although it does show a broadband icon but it won't connect. None of the things you suggested are visible so something must be wrong at a deeper level do you think?

I've put it back as it was now so as I can send this on to you. It's such a chore rebooting every time I want to use the other boot system. Never mind eh?

docusk
    Refurbished Computer.

So many things to check, and I'm no expert on connections. Maybe someone else has an idea or two?