Thread: wireless server?

wireless server?

ok, so i got my network completely wireless now except for one small problem. my server is still hardwired and i dont know what im doing to get the server to be completely wireless so that my networked computers can access the server and open programs on the server...

can someone tell me what to do or point me to a tutorial?

i was just reading this.. http://lifehacker.com/software/home-...ver-130806.php

can you use an ftp server to run programs too or is it only to access files?
    Last edited by tradertalk; 06-02-2009 at 05:06 AM.

or how would i go about using wireless for internet and using a hardwire for the server? can i have both running at the same time?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Do you have a wireless router with cable or DSL?

Connect the server to the wireless router using a wired connection. The wireless PCs all connect to the wireless router but they have full sharing with the server and ALL PCs can use the internet.

I think you are making it to complicated in your head. A wireless router takes care of all of the issues for you.

yep wireless dsl router

thanks.. yeah i think i was

Putting a server on a Wireless computer is not a good idea.

Wireless is slow unstable and would go to sleep when not used.

Put the FTP server on a computer that is connected to the Router with a wire.

With the proper Sharing configuration all the computers (wire, and wireless) would be able to connect to the server.

This is Very Good and Free FTP Server, http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=server

cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.