Thread: Need Disk Imaging Software Recommendation

Question Need Disk Imaging Software Recommendation

Can anyone recommend easy to use imaging software for desktop PC's? I have several small retail outlets all with a standalone PC operating Windows XP SP3. I currently use Backup MyPC for nightly data backups to a secondary hard drive and I also created a full backup with Recovery Disk for each PC. I've had to use the latter on at least 2 occasions and it worked great, but in both of those scenarios I was replacing a failed primary drive in the same PC. Had the motherboard failed or the PC been stolen I would have been up a creek because Backup MyPC's full recovery option won't load onto a different PC. Therefore, I need imaging software that can put the image onto a different box if necessary. I would also like to save the image to an external USB drive if possible.
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." - Morpheus

This one is free, but somewhat limited:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

If you're going to work from a bootable CD, that should be fine. If you are going to actually install it on multiple PCs, you should cough for the full version.

My all-around favorite is Acronis True Image. It does it all.

http://www.acronis.com/
    MS MCP, MCSE

Therefore, I need imaging software that can put the image onto a different box if necessary.
    The main problem is that the HAL would probably be different on a new system. If you stick with the same basic brand of chipset, you might be able to avoid a bluescreen. Otherwise, you'd have to at least do a repair install.

Acronis TrueImage Workstation has a Universal restore add-on, but that is not a cheap option.

Acronis TrueImage Workstation has a Universal restore add-on, but that is not a cheap option.
    But it is the cheapest way to restore to different hardware, and it works well.

Paragon Drive Copy 9.0 Personal SE free

Free if you act today:

Paragon Drive Copy 9.0 Personal SE

...I have Acronis True Image and Paragon 9...they both work well...

Quote Originally Posted by mj2469 View Post
    Free if you act today:

Paragon Drive Copy 9.0 Personal SE

...I have Acronis True Image and Paragon 9...they both work well...
    That's a good tip for those just looking for a good drive copy app, but it does not do what the O.P. wants it to do.
    i.e. restore images to dissimilar hardware.

I know just the thing.

StorageCraft's ShadowProtect.
    It allows what they call a "Hardware Independent Restore"
    Also live state imaging (image the computer without rebooting), move physical to virtual and back. Load images on a USB HDD (preferably NTFS, FAT32 has 4Gb filesize limit), or network storage.

We've just started using it here at work. I'm very impressed so far.

Very cool software. http://www.storagecraft.com.au

I can recommend a reseller if your in Sydney.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I've heard a lot about Acronis, so I think I'll start there.
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." - Morpheus