Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 To Ship Oct. 22

Hybrid View

Windows 7 To Ship Oct. 22

Windows 7 To Ship Oct. 22, Microsoft Confirms
    http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ubSection=News
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

I'll definitely move to it from my XP pc, but not sure about the ones with Vista. Will push my son to move to it after it is released, with his sharp new netbook.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

let's hope this one makes us all forget about vista...

Which OS has worked better for you mireland? Vista is far and away the most stable, best running OS that I've used to date. It goes perfectly in and out of sleep mode, so I leave it on for months at a time. I do turn off some things I don't care for, but other than that it works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by cdroman View Post
    Which OS has worked better for you mireland? Vista is far and away the most stable, best running OS that I've used to date. It goes perfectly in and out of sleep mode, so I leave it on for months at a time. I do turn off some things I don't care for, but other than that it works very well.
    I like xp..I tried to use vista but I found it a resource hog, not very intuetive(spelling..lol) intrusive and generally either way to "helpful" or not useful at all...but that's just me.. I'm sure SRJ loved it...

Anyone recommend upgrading to W7 from WinXP?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Win 7 works perfectly on my daughters Dell D820 laptop with 2GB RAM. Smooth, stable, "pretty", and noticably faster than Vista.

It has the same driver drawbacks that Vista had, so you may need to upgrade other equipment and applications.

Do I recommend moving to Windows 7?

No, not yet. I have two HDD's in my PC. One with my 7 year fine-tuned and well-polished Windows XP Home Edition OS. On the other I installed Windows 7 beta and finally Windows 7 RC. The beta version was fine except opening a new web browser or even a new tab was very slow to connect. Once the browser, IE, was connected all was fast. I have used Kaspersky's AV version built for Windows 7 & and it was recimmended by Microsoft for W7.

I gave up on the beta at one point and installed the Windows 7 RC. The browser connection lag was not a problem. I was hyped again. One month into the use of the RC version the slow connection between IE and the web began again, with Kaspersky being my AV. I upgraded to a 10 Mb, from a 3 Mb, internet service during that time.

I switched back to my XP HDD and WOW! It was so obvious as to what the bandwidth upgrade gave me.

I have talked with others that did not have this problem, at least not at that time. Being that I am using an AV built for W7 and recommended by MS, I don't know that I could recommend W7, at this point. The only other software installed is Microsoft Office 2007, other than Adobe stuff. In the beta version there was an easy link to MS for feedback. Now, I can not find a way to communicate this issue to MS.
    Once you Newegg, You Know!

Never had any of those problems with 7 RC. I don't use IE though. I've ordered 7pro for my media pc that is currently running XP pro. I'll find out how that goes in Oct.

I would recommend keeping your XP on a seperate hdd and installing Win 7 on a second drive. You can always switch back and forth.
    Once you Newegg, You Know!

I obtained a copy of Windows 7 Pro from my college and put it on my Gateway MT3423 laptop. The laptop was running Vista when got it, and I found Vista to be what we all know it to be (<_<), so I downgraded to XP on it.

But when I got 7 I installed it and found it to be everything I wished Vista would have been when it was released. Fast, UAC isn't annoying but it retains it's good usefulness still, looks cool, and doesn't suck up as much cpu at idle as Vista did.

There are some driver problems but I've not come across one device where I couldn't use a Vista driver. I have nothing but good to say about it otherwise.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Running windows 7 Ultimate,,Got my full RTM from technet and have to say nothing but good things about it, a huge leap over Vista and XP, I have it installed on 4 computers in my house and no problems at all.
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrusher View Post
    Running windows 7 Ultimate,,Got my full RTM from technet and have to say nothing but good things about it, a huge leap over Vista and XP, I have it installed on 4 computers in my house and no problems at all.
    Agreed. Am also running the RTM (7100) version of Windows 7 Pro from Technet. I love it. I've switched. I will need a new scanner, but that's a small price to pay for some real progress in the operating system.

As soon as my laptop gives me grief that I cannot fix with an Acronis restore, I'm switching to Windows 7 there too.

If you don't mind a clean installation, I recommend upgrading from XP now. If you have Vista, it's no-brainer - upgrade.
    MS MCP, MCSE

We are going to start piloting Windows 7 at my office for everyday use - we already completed initial tech tests. We are going to end up replacing 5000 licenses of XP with Windows 7 in the next fiscal year. So far it seems to be a good move - we do not have nearly as many issues as we did with Vista (which is why we skipped it)
    -- Mathias

Yep like wise, I have it running on one of my systems at work, I have no problems at all, a few minor tweaks, Vmare Vsphear had a few hicups but nothing I couldnt work round, I would have to agree with Bill a clean installation is the way to go, I my self never did any upgrade always a clean install best way to go.
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core