Thread: Excel and Word problem

Excel and Word problem

Dell Inspiron 1720 Vista Business MS Office 2007
    In Excel, I keep a monthly spreadsheet that I just rename and save again under the next month's name, i.e., June is changed to July and saved as "July". In the last month, whenever I load one of these Excel documents, the original document loads but then starts flickering as it is trying to open a "copy" of the same file. A copy never opens, but just appears as "Copy of Doc 1" in the title bar. It then goes back to "Doc 1". This is continuous and happens about every second. I have not made any copies of my spreadsheets. There are no copies listed in my spreadsheet folder. This is very annoying as I cannot make changes without Excel locking up. I have to close it through Task Manager. I did not deliberately make any changes to the Excel program. I have now noticed in the last couple of days, the same thing is happening with Word documents, trying to load a "copy". I have run the Office diagnostics program and it says there are no problems with the program. Any idea what is going on and how do I resolve it?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Did you enable any auto-start macros?

No, I did not.

Have you tried the documents on another pc to see if they are corrupted ? ex. copy to flash drive , etc.

Are you using the Excel or Word MRU list to open the documents or directly from the files directory or shortcuts ?

If I launch Excel first, then open the file from "Open>Folder A>File", the problem does not occur. If I open the file from Windows Explorer and double click the document, the problem occurs. In this case, no changes can be saved. When I try to exit Windows Explorer, it freezes and I have to use Task Manager to restart it. I am opening the same file in both instances, just going a different path on each.

Smile

Found a solution that appears to be working. All the issues with Excel and Word are resolved. Solution was:

1. PRESS CTRL+ALT+DELETE
    2. OPEN THE TASK MANAGER
    3. CLICK ON PROCESSES TAB
    4. END ‘EXPLORER.EXE’
    5.CLICK ON APPLICATIONS TAB
    6. CLICK ‘NEW TASK’
    7. TYPE: EXPLORER.EXE