Thread: Dell D620 suddenly won't boot when in docking station

Dell D620 suddenly won't boot when in docking station

Have Dell D620. XP Professional. Had successful use with Dell Docking Station for more than 2 years - until this week. When laptop loaded to dock station, only the 'undock' light is illuminated - should be power light. When press power button (on laptop or dock station)~I get the Dell BIOS boot screen OK(very slow!), after completion, instead of giving me password screen to log on, get blank, black screen with cursor blinking top left hand side - and nothing else, no matter how i wait.
    After multiple attempts to get going, the log on screen shows once in a while, i use fingerprint reader or password for log on - laptop then goes into 'standby' mode.
    Laptop works OK out of dock station.
    Other problems arrived at same time - the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon shows on task bar - upon selection, it shows my DVD/Write drive as an item for removal - this drive was supplied with machine from new - no problems prior.
    Any thoughts would be gratefully received

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Check the Dell tech support forum for detail on this issue. I saw this happen once several years ago and I think I had to apply a BIOS update and possibly replace the docking station.

It sounds like a power issue. Doesn't a Docking station use an ac power adapter ?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmech View Post
    It sounds like a power issue. Doesn't a Docking station use an ac power adapter ?
    Every Dell and other docking station that I have ever seen uses an AC brick for power. The laptops use around a 45 watt transformer and the docking station used around a 90 watt one.

If you have a multimeter you can check the output on the power (brick) supply. You can get a new one on eBay for about $20 shipped, but you can probably buy the whole thing for $30 or $35, which may be the wiser way to go , as the problem is just as likely to be on the PCB in the dock. Just make sure that it includes the PA10 power supply.
    These units are just replaceable, not repairable.
    http://shop.ebay.com/items/__Dell-D6...286.m104.l1198

http://shop.ebay.com/items/__Dell-do...286.m104.l1199

I have this issue with my Latitude D830 when my iPod is plugged in and I try to boot from the Dock. A Dell locks up when trying to boot from the iPod. Try removing all USB devices fromt he dock and booting up again.

The D620 and D630 use a 90W cord now as well as the dock. The D820 and D830 too. If you plug in an older 45W or 65W cord the laptops will boot to a screen stating they can not perform at maximum speeds due to the power adapter.
    -- Mathias