Thread: Can't connect XP pro to Server 2003

Hybrid View

Can't connect XP pro to Server 2003

Hey guys,

So I have here XP Pro and Server 2003 for small business...

and I'm having some issues connecting to the server on the workstation.

When I try to connect I get an error:

"The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "souhlandcross":

multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

So what I tried was in CMD is used "net use * /delete" and it says no connections in list or something.

I've tried logging off the admin account and linking up the domain that way but it doesn't seem to work.

I set-up a DNS too for internal use as "southlandcrossingtv.int" and the domain name is "southlandcross".

Does anyone have any ideas or tutorials they could point me too to get these issues troubleshooted?

Thanks,
    Steven

Greetings.

Has the PC been added in the Active Directory Users & Computers?

Sounds like you had the same computer name on the AD already. Go into AD users and computers and remove the old reference or rename the client PC.

I don't know if you have fixed this or not, but in my case, I have to log on as the local administrator to perform the join to domain command. I have rights to join systems to the domain but if i log on and try I get that error. If I log on as the local admin account I get no error.
    -- Mathias

I added the computer in the Active Directory Users & Computers, but everytime I try to connect the computer to the server somehow the computer in AD would be disabled and I would have to re-enable it.

And for some reason the XP Pro workstation still cannot join the DNS server because it cannot find it? but somehow I have two other computers that were able to find it with not problems.

Ultimate Member
    reset the computer account in AD, and remove the workstation from the domain.

Reboot it, and verify that the network settings are correct for DNS search order and registration, then re-add it to the domain and see if it acts correctly.