Thread: Client Access Licenses

Client Access Licenses

for my server at work, we have 15 people on the network and only 10 have client access licenses. i need to purchase 5 more CAL but am confused in the difference between per user and per device...

tell me if im right...

for per device, the specific device is the only one that can connect to the server to use software on it? so if i have 10 CAL and 15 users, only the 10 devices with the CAL can go on and the other 5 are sitting ducks?

for per user, any user can connect to the server to use software on it? so if i have 10 CAL and 15 users, then any 10 can go on at once but its just limited to 10 at once?

so if the cost is the same for per user and per device, it just makes sense to choose per user then right?

thanks!

How do you have the server configured now? That would determine what type of CALs you use.

for per device, the specific device is the only one that can connect to the server to use software on it? so if i have 10 CAL and 15 users, only the 10 devices with the CAL can go on and the other 5 are sitting ducks?
    That's true in the legal sense of CALs. If a server doesn't have enough CALs, it's not like it locks out the 11th user or device that tries to connect.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sam/lic_cal.mspx

right now its set up as per user

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tradertalk View Post
    right now its set up as per user
    Then I believe that is what you have to buy

Quote Originally Posted by r8500 View Post
    Then I believe that is what you have to buy
    That is correct. You cannot have multiple types of CALs on a server and you cannot change CALs from one type to the other.