Thread: NAS Intel system - change case

NAS Intel system - change case

Hi to all,

we have this NAS
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-029881.htm
    directly connected in our LAN (10 PCs, all WinXP) and we use it w/o any problems. It has 4 HDs in it, 700GB each.

In the past we have replaced one of the disks w/o problems, we just took out the old and put in a new one, the procedure it quite simple.

Now we want to take all 4 discs and put them in a new NAS- exactly same model, just new. This is because our old one is pretty messed up- LEDs do not work, power button is working 1 time out of 2 etc.

My question is, will all the data remain? Or the new ss4200-e will overwrite all the data in the discs?

I know some things about PCs and discs, but I'm totally new to RAID discs and NAS hardware.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Michael.

You didn't say what RAID level you are using, but I would guess RAID5.

The array info is stored on the RAID controller, not on the discs themselves. Chances are that moving the drives over will result in a broken array, even on identical hardware.

You should really backup your data, migrate the drives over, create a new array, and restore your data from backup. This would also be a good chance to test your backups.