Thread: Looking to build an upgraded (new) computer

Looking to build an upgraded (new) computer

Hello everyone,
    It's been years since I've posted, but I knew that this was the place to post when I couldn't figure out what to do.

Currently I'm running this as my computer:
    ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 2400+ OC'd to 2600+ speed
    768MB Ram
    Nvidia 6800GT
    Antec NeoPower 480W PSU

As I'm sure you can see, it's quite a bit outdated.
    It fits my basic needs right now, which is running Ubuntu 8.10, but lately I've been getting slowdowns that are making me angry! I primarily just use the computer for internet and word processing, but every once in a while I break out the Photoshop CS3 and Unreal Tournament 3. Needless to say my current setup must hate me when I run that stuff!

So, I'm looking to replace this computer with something a bit more modern with the ability to upgrade if I want. I'm looking to build a very capable computer, but I'm not going for the all out gaming PC.
    I'm on a budget of approximately $800.
    I'm looking for:
    Motherboard
    AMD Processor
    Capable Video Card (if I want to play some modern games, it'll take em)
    I'd like to not have to buy a new PSU, as the one I have is pretty new.

Thanks everyone!

I'm floored by all the responses.

I more or less was just looking for some tips on what's the latest technology. Oh well.

See file for my recent upgrade - I love it. I upgraded from similar processor/asus mobo.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by danthemanohhyea View Post
    I'm floored by all the responses.
    You haven't participated here for years (in your own words), didn't participate much when you did and are now asking generalized questions and expecting exacting answers when the info you seek is available anytime from Tom's Hardware, Anandtech, Maximum PC and a dozen other sites.

Dude, the Lord helps those who help themselves.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    You haven't participated here for years (in your own words), didn't participate much when you did and are now asking generalized questions and expecting exacting answers when the info you seek is available anytime from Tom's Hardware, Anandtech, Maximum PC and a dozen other sites.

Dude, the Lord helps those who help themselves.
    I can understand what you're saying, I'm sorry that I'm not worthy of replies because my post count is so low compared to so many of you, I just don't have the time to post 15-20 posts a day and still keep my grades up in school.

I also did extensive searching (3-4 hours of google-ing) and I couldn't find much that wasn't from 2007 and earlier. I know A LOT has changed since then so that's why I thought I'd come here. Plus I remember actually getting kind and friendly responses 5 years ago.

I apologize if I've come off the wrong way in asking for help. It's just that the last time I was "in the know" about computers was when CPU frequency was everything.

Now-a-days speed doesn't seem to be determined by clock speed, but rather other things like onboard cache and dual/triple/quad cores. So when I look at different processors and they're all running similar clock speeds, it's a bit confusing to me.

Not only that but video cards don't seem to make sense in the numbering schemes like they used to.

Lastly, it's pretty difficult to perceive what's currently "fast" because pretty much anything is way faster than what I've got.

Thanks for the replies, sorry for my ignorance.

In my opinion, with a budget of $800, your best bet is customizing a dell machine. You'll get more than what you can build with AND a warranty on the entire system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreguy View Post
    In my opinion, with a budget of $800, your best bet is customizing a dell machine. You'll get more than what you can build with AND a warranty on the entire system.
    That's probably true, but what fun is it to not build your own PC?!

Wow! I am almost in the same situation. I have a Althlon XP 2400+ and was thinking of getting a new HD. Since mine is IDE and not SATA, I am looking into a Motherboard/Processor combo special at Frys.

Not sure about stuff anymore, since I quit regular cutting edge updates. Wasn't sure if I needed the 2 and 3 or 4 core for what I'm doing. It's only about $150 tho.

With the way people treated you here, looks like I'll skip my thread.

When I come to a post I want to criticize, I skip it. I try to answer the question asked or not at all. Sorry.
    Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Chris View Post
    Wow! I am almost in the same situation. I have a Althlon XP 2400+ and was thinking of getting a new HD. Since mine is IDE and not SATA, I am looking into a Motherboard/Processor combo special at Frys.

Not sure about stuff anymore, since I quit regular cutting edge updates. Wasn't sure if I needed the 2 and 3 or 4 core for what I'm doing. It's only about $150 tho.

With the way people treated you here, looks like I'll skip my thread.

When I come to a post I want to criticize, I skip it. I try to answer the question asked or not at all. Sorry.
    Chris.
    It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who's in this situation.
    I hope this thread helped you out some, it surely helped me. I wasn't aware that tomshardware and such sites had articles on what was the current tech and what goes with what to make a decent system.