Thread: converting raid of single drive disks back to jbod

converting raid of single drive disks back to jbod

Howdy,

I'm using a 3Ware 9500S-8 controller and have a mix match of drives connected to it. Some Jbod so I can move them to no raid controllers, ssome raid 0 and 5. I'm trying to convert a few drives back to JBOD so I can move them to other non raid systems. When I say move I mean physically remove them and insert them in another system using the same sled type but a non raid controller.

When I connect a new drive to the raid it comes up as a JBOD, formats and works fine between the raid card and other non raid systems. If I take any drive that has been initialized for any type of raid, even the single drive setup the card offers, and attempt to remove it and "delete" it the raid card holds on to it as an "available " drive for creating a new unit. When trying to create a new unit I do not get JBOD as an option. The OS, XP PRO in this case, does not see the drive while the controller is holding on to it as "available"

My last attempt was to remove it from the raid system after deleting it, inserting it into another systems with non raid controller, deleting the partition that was showing up, create a new partition and format in NTFS. I moved the drive back to the Raid system and it is still appearing in the "available" drives list

The only thing I can think is that the raid knows the ID of the drive and won't let go of it. Would a low level format cure this or will I never be able to use this drive as JBOD with this raid controller?

Thanks,

~RC

http://www.3ware.com/support/userdocs.asp

JBOD configuration is no longer supported in the 3ware 9000 series. AMCC recommends that you use Single Disk as a replacement for JBOD

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I've done this dance with 3ware, Jbod works just fine on this controller. Looks like I'm out of luck getting the controller to see the drive as jbod again after a single disk format =[

Thanks,

~RC