Thread: File encrypted can't read now...

File encrypted can't read now...

I have a user that went to a folder of his and right clicked and went to properties then advanced and selected the "encrypt contents to secure data" box and now he can't get in it or access any of the file in the folder.

He said windows didn't ask for a password or anything. He needs access to this folder. I am the admin and I can't even get in it.

How do we remove the encryption and get the folder back?

Thanks
    MS MCP, NET+

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You should recover the files from his backups.

No backups means NO DATA!

Encription is used for a reason, so people CAN'T break in without the passwords. He obviously forgot the password and wants you to get him out of a jam.

Windows version?

Windows won't ask for a password, since it is using their login information. Did he somehow change the password for his account?

Even admins can't get into encrypted data unless they are a designated agent.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887414

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308993

Aug,

He swears up and down Windows never asked for any password. He just did it this morning. So I don't think he would have forgot a password .

I doubt that he has any backup at all.

I created a folder and put a text doc in it and did the same thing he did and windows didn't ask me for any password either!!

What's up with that.I thought WIndows would give me a chance to put in a password, but it didn't? Weird.

Thanks
    MS MCP, NET+

He's using Windows XP Pro...

Can I go to the server and do anything from there?

I went back to the foldera and right clicked and went t propertire and then advance and there was no check mark in the encryption box.

I'm starting to get worried here...

I'm going back to the computer and try what you suggested Mid...
    Last edited by TweakerXP; 02-20-2009 at 02:36 PM.
    MS MCP, NET+

EFS does not ask for a password when it encrypts. It uses the user's login info as the encryption credentials.

Are you even sure he encrypted it? Something is not adding up.

Yep, I'm sure because it says the files are empty and we can not access them. I tried a system restore and that didn't work. At this point I'll try anything. I'll dance in front of our store with a pink tootoo on if it would help!!

I tried what you suggest with the links provided and that didn't change a thing.

I'm not having fun....

WAIT!! HOLD YOUR HORSES!!!

Ok... the manager that did this is using someone else's computer (a person who no longer works here) The user doesn't have a password on his account anymore so anyone can use his computer. Our manager got onhis system and went to the server to access his files. At that point the server asked for name and password, the manager entered HIS aname and password accessed the folder and applied the encryption at that point.

I think that maybe our problem. I'm not sure but that is the way he had to get onto the network.
    MS MCP, NET+

You need to use the login of the user that encrypted the files. Unless he was designated as an encryption agent (which we know he wasn't), then he can't access the files.

Encryption isn't something you do on a whim. Did your manager get hit in the head?

No but I **** sure do now!!

I called a local MCSE and was talking to him and he said they same thing ...we're screwed.

One last question. The files were backed up on the server last night. Can I go back and restore the files to another folder or will they have to go back to the original folder?

I was thinking that I could restore them to another folder BEFORE the encryption then we could get access to them.

Thanks
    Last edited by TweakerXP; 02-20-2009 at 06:01 PM.
    MS MCP, NET+

I was trying to cushion the blow, but it's basically toast. You need to use the same user login to access the files. That's the point of encrypting the files in the first place. If it was so easy to break, then why bother?

It's like having a gun in the house. You're more likely to shoot a family member than a robber. And today, you got shot.

You can try restoring to a different folder, since the backup was before the encryption. That should do the trick.

Well I told the manager that Monday morning that restoring the files from the backup tapes was our last resort.

SO we'll see.

Thanks for al your help.
    MS MCP, NET+

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Tell the manager that from now on if he has sensitive data, store it on an external USB drive that gets locked in a safe at work each night. The only way to protect sensitive data is to keep it PHYSICALLY LOCKED UP, not encrypted!

The better way to protect your company's data would be to lock up that manager.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!