Thread: one of two external harddrives connects to universal instead of usb2.0

one of two external harddrives connects to universal instead of usb2.0

Hi all,

here is my challenge:

Running a Samsung X10 Notebook w/ WinXP Pro SP3, all latest drivers, etc.

The notebook comes w/ two USB 2.0 ports, which I use to connect two external hard drives to.

One of the harddrives refuses to connect as an USB2.0/extended USB device, even though the other smoothly connects as USB2.0.

The 'naughty' drive is a Hitachi hdt725040vlat80 with UDMA capability, should easily make use of the 2.0 speed.
    When plugging it in, I get an error message that the drive is capable of USB2.0, but connected to a slower USB1.0 port - which is wrong, as I can exchange the connections as much as I want with the second external drive at 2.0 speed.

Thanks for any advice.

sounds like you need an external power adapter for the Hitachi. Drives at or over 250Gb generally need more than the 5V the USB provides. My external came with a 2nd USB cable that has USB and power adapter, so I utilize 2 ports when plugged in. Otherwise, you may want to try figure 2

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The speed of the drive has nothing to do with USB mode. It's the USB adapter.

It is definitely not the power supply, as the external 3.5' drive always needs external power supply.

Midknyte, maybe I don't get your post 100%, but what exactly do you mean with the usb adapter? The one from the mainboard _is_ usb2.0, as I can connect the other external harddrive and it connects as 2.0 and 'proofs' by transfer-rates > 1mbit.

In Windows' System Management I can see (filter for connections) that it shows _two_ USB adapters - one for 'universal USB' and one for 'extended USB'.
    The connected device seems to negotiate(?) the transfer mode.

Thx.

check your bios then...flip around USB Legacy support to on/off
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The performance of the hard drive has nothing to do with USB 1.1 or 2.0 detection. It's the USB SATA/IDE adapter.

Go into device manager and remove the USB devices, then allow windows to redetect them. Make sure to remove phantom USB devices as well.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539/en-us