Thread: 2 Irrating Little Problems

2 Irrating Little Problems

These are not important but irritating as i want things to be 'right'.

The 1st is Netgears Smart Wizard. I have a WN121T wireless adapter, it uses the smart wizard to connect. All I want is for it to start minimised to the system tray...easy you would think, well does not seem so to me. I am running XP Pro, have looked for options within the program and found non, have found the program on my C drive and set it to start minimised, have made a short cut to the program and set that to start minimised. None of these worked it still insists of appearing in the middle of the desktop for me to X to see my desktop. My laptop uses an adapter with the smart wizard and that starts minimised so I cannot understand why it refuses to work....i hope i have missed something easy lol (will feel a bit of a burk but hey)

The 2nd problem is different but has the same result (my desktop cannot be seen at startup). I use deamon tools to run CD images that I make of games that I have (to save wear on the disks). THe installation procedure went correctly, the program is working (I can play my games without disks) but it keeps coming up with 'found new hardware, then searches, then states;
    Cannot Install THis Hardware
    SCSI/RAID Host Controller
    An error occured during the installation of the device
    The specified service does not exist as an installed service

If i close this it comes back a few seconds later

Not important I know just annoying but if you have any ideas it would be appreciated

Thanks

Kev

For the first problem, I would suggest disabling the Wizard and use Windows Zero Configuration Utility.

just a quick check, would I still get wireless N speeds?

Yes - if you use the appropriate router. You didn't mention that. N is a hardware spec.
    MS MCP, MCSE

The Netgear software is just a connection manager. It has no bearing on 802.11x speeds.

What SP level are you on? SP2 changed the WZC service. SP3 has the proper hotfixes for WPA2 support, but you can manually patch SP2 also.

I am on SP3 but the router states I must either have no security (bad idea) or WPA2 to get full N speed, the adapter is obviously also wireless N

The drivers and hardware determine the speed negotiation. As long as the hardware matches and you have the latest drivers, you're GTG.

The WiFi interface has no bearing on speed negotiation between adapter and router. The WiFi interface software is not a "driver" per se, even if it is included in the driver package.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks guys that worked, so thats got rid of one. Any ideas about the 2nd one

many thanks

Kev

Try using a different virtual drive solution, like MagicDisc.