Thread: Dead Packard Bell Imedeia 1308

Dead Packard Bell Imedeia 1308

Hi
    my machine stopped working while being used ,I was able to restart but next time I tried, it wouldnt start
    when the power button is pressed the CPU cooling fan and the power fan gives a fraction of a turn before going back to its origonal position
    the only other power supply I have is one designed for AMD which shows an overall 12 V capacity of 10A the power supply in the computer shows 2 X12V supplys one at 8A to the long connector and one at 14A for the 4 way connector near the CPU
    Is there an easy way of checking the power supply other than replacement ,what else is likely
    I have tried replacing RAM with known good one
    Thanks for any help

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Power supply would be my first choice.

Look for a sticker on it with a part/model number. Search the internet for that number. I would replace it with an identical one unless you want to buy a new case/power suply and move everything over.

That's the way my computer was behaving last week, and it turned out to be my power supply.

Thanks for the replys
    I have now followed some instructions for checking power supply
    ie bridging pin 8 (green wire) with black common wire this gives correct voltages except for the +12V wich reads 11.45V (this is off load)I dont know if this is the cause of the problem or is an acceptable variation

Check the motherboard capacitors:

www.badcaps.net

It's quite possible that the motherboard is at fault here. A power surge can leave the power supply *looking* like it's working, but the surge often damages the motherboard.

Check the caps first. If no joy, try a different power supply. Its cheaper than trying a new motherboard.
    MS MCP, MCSE