Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Reboot without Blue Screen

I don't know if this is pertinent but the installation always reboots at 34 minutes. Upon querying the setup log setupapi.log, the last device to be installed is my HD. But the log says it installs successfully.

OK, I disabled legacy device support and onboard LAN in my bios and this has gotten me to th product key prompt. However, my slipstreamed copy of XP is not accepting my product key. Is there any reason for this?

I've had problems with wifi cards. You might want to disable/remove the card until the windows install is done.

Slipstreaming does not affect the product code, if it's legit. If it's not a genuine code, SP3 may have blacklisted it.

You can also use Autostreamer to make a plain slipstreamed disc. Link is in Tech Tools.

Well its definitely a legitimate code, so I don't know whats going on there. My wireless is built in to the laptop and my bios has no option to disable it.

I went back to see if my SP1 install CD would complete, and it gets passed the 34 minute mark, but reboots when prompting for the Product Key.

My wireless is built in to the laptop
    No, it's not. It's a removable card. The hatch is below the ram cover, and to the right of the hard drive.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...assembly_1.htm

Ah, I see.

I have removed the wifi card and resolved the Product Key issue (I believe). So I am attempting to install Windows XP SP3 slipstreamed again. The install makes it to the prompt for the Product Key but reboots before I get a chance to enter it.

I don't know what I changed, but with the WIFI card out Windows XP SP3 Slipstream installed without a problem. I am currently logged in to normal mode (not safe mode) and the system has been stable for atleast 30 minutes. I am terrified to install any drivers though. Is there anything I should do before I install drivers? What should I do about my WIFI card? Thanks.

Like I said, I've seen this issue with wifi cards before. It could be a bad wifi card, or it might have just needed to be reseated. Best case, you clean the contacts, reinstall and everything works. Worst case, the card is bad and you go out and buy a PC Card wifi adapter.

The only way to test it is to reinstall the wifi card and see if the rebooting starts again. That way you can verify if the wifi card is causing the looping or not.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Use a pink pencil erasure to clean the contacts.

I figured I'd go through mu devices one by one and install them. The first thing I did was enable the LAN port on the motherboard. It detected fine and the driver installed fine. It was stable at this point. The second thing I did was install my 1 GB stick of RAM into the remaining DIMM Slot. After booting into Windows and lasting for 15 seconds, the reboots started up again. The first thing I did was to take the 1 GB stick back out. Still reboots. Tried alternating the DIMM slots for my remaining 512 Stick. Still reboots after 15 seconds in Windows. How the heck is this possible? The WIFI card is still out, for the record. I disabled my WAN port to no avail.

I double checked and this is the additional 1 GB stick of RAM I put in to the system.

Kingston 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Laptop Memory Model KVR533D2S4/1G

Model
    Brand Kingston
    Model KVR533D2S4/1G
    Type 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM
    Tech Spec
    Capacity 1GB
    Speed DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)
    Cas Latency 4
    Voltage 1.8V
    ECC No
    Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
    Heat Spreader No
    Manufacturer Warranty
    Parts Lifetime limited
    Labor Lifetime limited

It has been in th system previously for exactly 1 year and 1 month.

Hmm. You already ran memtest, so the ram should be good.

Were you able to get any temps? Did you clean/reseat the cpu heatsink? I remember some Toshibas had an issue with the chipset heatsink also.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...assembly_1.htm

At this point, there aren't many parts left. If it's a power problem, then it's probably the motherboard.

I was never able to get temperatures before the system became unstable again. I did reseat the CPU heatsink. I did not clean it or reapply thermal compound. As far as accessing the chipset, that is unfortunately outside of my comfort zone (currently). I will clean and remount the heatsink and attempt to get some temperatures.

Running speedfan hangs my system as the program loads (during the SMBBUS scan). Running with the /NOSMBSCAN allows the program to load up. I currently have three temperatures

HD0 : 30C
    Temp1: 46C
    Temp2: 39C

The window also shows ACPI temperature 46C. Attempting to stress the CPU I can make the temperature rise to 50C but it always comes back down.

Current status is LAN Disabled, 512MB Stick installed, Wireless chip removed, currently uninstalled drivers:

Card Reader
    Sound Card
    Modem
    Graphics Card

Seemingly stable going on 1 HR. Any suggestions on next move?