Thread: Abit to die 12/31/2008. R.I.P.

Abit to die 12/31/2008. R.I.P.

I absolutely LOVE my Abit boards. Rock solid, good features, great overclocking. Still running my 3 year old AB9-pro and 5 year old NF7-Sv2 daily with no problems at all.

Universal Scientific Industrial will pull the trigger, like putting a gimpy horse out of its misery, tomorrow. Think I'll dress in all black tomorrow in rememberance...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_abit
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboa...mber_2008.html
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

I've lost track of how many machines I've built using Abit boards and never had a DOA. Both of my home computers, my parents' machine, the kids, all of my customers...

Maybe someone will have a change of heart or some enthusiast will step in. Oh, well. I won't get my hopes up. The real brains behind the glory days left when USI bought Abit three years ago, as I understand it.

Nevertheless, their boards are bulletproof. I also have an NF7-Sv2 that I take out of storage and fire up occasionally. I oughta give it to someone who can use it. It was aces when it was new, and it's still competent even though dual-core is the norm now.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

The real brains behind the glory days left when USI bought Abit
    That's it in a nutshell. Abit lived on in name only. It was a slow lingering death.

All pre-NF7-Sv2 Abit boards were subject to failed capacitors. They lost me as a customer when my NF-7S V1 failed. Soyo sucked too. MSI bit me, but they seemed to learn sooner than the rest that the problem was bad caps.

The king is dead. Long live the king!
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    All pre-NF7-Sv2 Abit boards were subject to failed capacitors.
    True enough, but Abit bent over backward to stand by their product - much more so than most of their competitors. That's what persuaded me to stick with Abit.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Feels like a wake. Have had several Abit mobos, including the NF-7 V.2 to my current IP35 Pro. Minor quirks, but top performers all. Abit support was also top notch when I bricked my NF-7 by flashing it with the wrong BIOS, remember the V.2 - -2 versions? Overnighted me a new chip no cost.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

In the 5 years that I owned and operated a computer store in Colombia I NEVER had an Abit board fail, best operating boards I ever used. In fact this PC of my wifes is still running an Abit raid board day in and day out and it can survive my wife it could survive wars.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

My first build was with the BH6 board. Intel Pentium II 300Mhz cpu. Velocity 4400 (AGP) vid card.
    That computer still runs too.
    Built several other computers using Abit boards, and only the KT7-Raid has bad caps.