Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: XP vs Vista for new PC

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I've got a bit of homework for tonight.
    Lian Li PC71A Silver Aluminum Tower
    Intel Core i7-920 2.66 GHz LGA 1366
    Corsair XMS3 12GB
    Velociraptor WD300GLFS
    Asus P6T Deluxe and EN9600GT Silent
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    Zalman ZM850-HP

BigRedHosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by lbeachmike View Post
    Hey there -

I'm finally building a new box, and wondering whether or not I should stick with XP or move to Vista. I've been loathing the idea of migrating to Vista. I usually like to skip every other OS with Microsoft

I was under the impression that Vista was still very quirky, but I've heard a lot of positives from people I've spoken with.

I'm not quite sure what criteria to use to choose XP vs Vista. I like stability, so any opinions on which is the more stable platform at this point?

Any strong recommendations one way versus the other?

Should the decision be based primarily on whether or not all of my software is Vista-compatible?

Any good links that might help me? I trust the opinions here above others. You guys haven't let me down yet

Thanks.

Mike

(If the concensus is to go with Vista, next question will be "Which version?" )
    I really like Vista.

It is very stable for me; I leave it on for weeks at a time as it goes very well into, and out of sleep mode.

I don't have any software that doesn't work with Vista. ( I don't have much in the way of old software though) I still have 1 pc with XP on it (media pc)

32 bit or 64 bit is up to you. I don't need 64 bit.
    SAVING FACE OR LOSING FACE

I'd say this. Yes 64bit is faster at lots of things I do over 32 bit. But that's under Linux at work. Will your current XP license work on the new box(i.e. like a Dell XP license usually only works on that box).

If the license works, just stick with XP for now. Unless you absolutely need a reason for Vista. Depending on your data storage needs, oversize your harddrive a bit, and leave some space unformatted. When you get a bit more time, go grab a license for Vista and play with it on the unformatted space and see how it runs. In the meantime, you can play around with Linux and things on the unused space. I have my 750 gig drive formatted

300 megs NTFS, WinXP
    100 megs FAT32 (for data tranfsfer between OS's)
    150 megs Fedora 9
    100 megs Ubunto
    ~50 megs .... drum roll here... BeOS 4.5(yes it actually works on my box yet, graphics drivers a problem, but hey its just fun to see that in the grub boot loader.)

And, always a good idea... my last partition.

50 megs NTFS, WinXP (same license as above...)

This is my Virus scan only partition... I boot to it once a month, plug in the network to quick update WinXP and Virus software, disconnect network, and scan my main WinXP 300 meg NTFS partition "offline"

Interesting and helpful advice and I like your dual-XP strategy.

One thing's for sure, you definitely have much more free time on your hands then I do

What do you use for boot management?

In my own circumstance, I actually run 6 internal drives total, so I have a bit of flexibility there.

I suppose you keep the backup XP on the same boot drive so that it does not prompt you to reactivate ... ? Or does it?

My XP license will work on the new box - it will just ask for reactivation. But whether or not I go XP or Vista, I'm going to move up to 64-bit, so I'll need a new license either way.
    Corsair XMS3 12GB
    Velociraptor WD300GLFS
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    Zalman ZM850-HP

BigRedHosting.com

I would go Vista at this time. Finding XP drivers is starting to be a problem. It's time to move on.

I would go 64-bit too and get it over with. x64 will soon be inevitable as well. Virtualize XP 32b with MS Virtual PC for legacy support. That way, when you're finally done with XP, you can just throw out the virtual drive instead of fiddling with boot menus.
    MS MCP, MCSE

The XP VM may ask to reactivate. You can try backing up your activation files. I haven't tried it with SP3, though.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/activation_workaround.htm

Great - thanks. I am indeed going with Vista 64-bit.

Vista Ultimate Edition is the way to go, correct?
    Corsair XMS3 12GB
    Velociraptor WD300GLFS
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    Zalman ZM850-HP

BigRedHosting.com

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...s/default.aspx

Home Premium is probably enough, but you can get Ultimate if you want all the bells and whistles.

Lifetime Friend of Staff