Thread: Mem Test Utility

Mem Test Utility

Good Mornin' all. I hope you had Merry Christmas.

I built a system a few months back. It came back to me with random restarts. I suspected bad memory so I ran MemTest86 on it for 5 hours with no errors. Reloaded some drivers and let it run a day. I had no restarts so I sent it back to the owner. About a week later it came back with random restarts and artifacts during the BIOS boot screen. Replaced the vid card/drivers and ran the system for 48 hours (the first 24 running MemTest86). No restarts, no errors. I thought that maybe just letting it run was not stressing it enough so I ran Prime 95 for 48 hours. No restarts. I took it back again. The next day same problem, random restarts. This time instead of bringing it back to the shop I went there removed the memory and replaced it with known good memory and brought their memory back and put it in one of my systems. Their system ran without error but within 24 hours my system crashed to the point I had to reimage the drive to get it back up. I ordered new memory for them, installed it, and they've been happy ever since.

Needless to say my faith in MemTest 86 is badly shaken. I am wondering if any of you know of another memory testing utility that I can use.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Gerry

Edit: I just noticed the Tech Tools thread and I am going to download the Windiag utility. If anyone has any other suggestions I would still appreciate hearing them.
    Last edited by Jarhed7276; 12-26-2008 at 04:05 AM.

Did you use Memtest86 or Memtest86+? The + makes a difference. Memtest86 hasn't been updated in a long time.

http://www.memtest.org/

Good mornin' Midknyte. To be honest I'm not sure. The folder I have it in is labeled Memtest86-3.4a.iso.

Merry Xmas. That's the old Memtest86. The latest Memtest86+ is v2.11.

Thanks for the link. I just downloaded Memtest86+-2.11. I still have the bad memory so I will put it in my test system and run it over night.

If that was the problem I am going to feel like such an ***.

Thanks again, Midknyte. I'll post again later today to let you know if that is the problem.

Well that didn't take long. I'm an ***.

While it didn't return an error, I ran it twice and both times it locked up at 5:13 into the test.

Thanks again and have a happy New Year.