Thread: costco desktop deal

Hybrid View

costco desktop deal

alright so my friend asked me if i thought this desktop was a good deal.. so before writing back i thought id ask people with more knowledge on pcs for some feedback..
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...7*4798*&topnav
    what i liked about it was:
    -fast processor 2.66GHz
    -big monitor 23"
    -lots of ram 6GB
    -big sata harddrive
    -dedicated graphics card (512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850)
    -7.1 surround sound
    -microsoft office included
    so as to my knowledge its a pretty good machine. he will be using it mainly for gaming, music, movies and schoolword. so i guess the question really is: is it a good price?
    thanks

I don't know if it's a good deal per se, but it's a fair price for a decent computer.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

build it out from Dell and see what it prices at. It's not a bad deal, you just may be able to get a little more at the same price point going direct http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/prod...hs1&l=en&s=dhs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

is this build upgradable? e.g. my friend wants to buy a new cpu or graphics card in a couple of years..

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loAol View Post
    is this build upgradable? e.g. my friend wants to buy a new cpu or graphics card in a couple of years..

Is it upgradeable, maybe, maybe not. You realize that all of the CPU companies create new designs every two years or so to make you buy a new mobo, processor, and RAM. You can always upgrade a video card for a lot more years than you can for CPUs.

For that price he would be better to just buy the parts himself, and build the PC.

And still have change left over after the build to take the family out for a nice meal.

And seeing as it's a Dell keep in mind they like to build there stuff to not work nicely with foreign parts.

So upgrading in the future might night be as easy as buy the latest grphx card and plug it in and off you go. Same goes for ram and CPU...

oh and he will need to get internet wirelessly. i noticed it doesnt come with a wireless card. could you refer me to a fitting card from eg. newegg.com?
    thanks

Dell uses the same parts from the same companies that you and I use when we build

Up until several years ago, Dell used proprietary psu's which caused a problem if you needed a new one....But that have since quit doing that.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."