Thread: Vista 32bit and Memory

Vista 32bit and Memory

I know that Vista 32bit only recognizes ~3GB of RAM. However, if I put in 4GB of RAM, and I have an integrated graphics card which uses (500MB), does Vista show 3GB of available memory or 2.5GB of available memory?

Thanks.

An additional question, are there any implications (performance, compatibility, etc) if I install 2 different DDR2 RAM sizes? (ie. 1GB + 2GB)? Again, this would be on a Vista 32bit. Thanks.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smartxtai View Post
    I know that Vista 32bit only recognizes ~3GB of RAM. However, if I put in 4GB of RAM, and I have an integrated graphics card which uses (500MB), does Vista show 3GB of available memory or 2.5GB of available memory?

Thanks.
    I would guess that it would display 3.25GB minus 512MB which equals 2.75GB of available RAM.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smartxtai View Post
    An additional question, are there any implications (performance, compatibility, etc) if I install 2 different DDR2 RAM sizes? (ie. 1GB + 2GB)? Again, this would be on a Vista 32bit. Thanks.
    My rull of thumb is to ALWAYS install the larger RAM stick in the first slot and the smaller one last. That way Windows can use the most contiguous space first.

There are a couple of links about the 4GB memory limit here: Best of Motherboards

If you install SP1, Vista should recognize the full 4GB. It depends on the onboard video. Some will share the memory, while others will isolate the memory for itself.

DDR2 is supposed to be installed in MATCHED PAIRS. You could put 2 1G sticks and 2 2G sticks in the same system, but don't put a 1G and 2G together.