Thread: Low profile graphics cards

Low profile graphics cards

I recently purchased a second-hand low profile PC and would like to install a graphics card with either DVI or S-Video so I can connect it to my TV. I know that I need a low profile card and that these are a standard size, but I'd like to know if its possible to buy a standard card and fit it with a low profile bracket. I know that such brackets are available (on ebay and elsewhere) but I'm not clear if I can fit them to any standard graphics card and, if so, what tools I need for the job.

The only reason I'm considering this option is because I'm having trouble finding new PCI/AGP low profile cards here in the UK (my PC doesn't have PCIe) so I'm currently considering buying one from ebay. I'd much rather buy a brand new card and fit a low profile bracket. Obviously, the card would have to fit in my case in the first place, but I'm pretty sure that a lot of current cards will be fine in that respect. (Feel free to correct me there...)

Any advice as to which option is best and/or the pros and cons of each would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Garrison
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Low profile cards are 1/2 height. You cannot take a regular sized card and pop on a half height bracket.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=
    Some of them have both half height and regular brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    Low profile cards are 1/2 height. You cannot take a regular sized card and pop on a half height bracket.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=
    Some of them have both half height and regular brackets.
    I noticed another thread where someone said they had great difficulty in finding low profile cards in the UK - the major suppliers don't seem to stock them, although I've found a few on ebay UK. Also, the link you provided is for a PCIe card: I can find plenty of these but my PC only has AGP (8x) and, of course, PCI (no PCIe).

You can filter for PCI or AGP cards. I was merely showing you that you can't take a regular card and convert it to half height.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    You can filter for PCI or AGP cards. I was merely showing you that you can't take a regular card and convert it to half height.
    Thanks, but I still can't find any (new) PCI/AGP low profile cards, although there are plenty of PCIe cards.

Quote Originally Posted by allanlewis
    Thanks, but I still can't find any (new) PCI/AGP low profile cards, although there are plenty of PCIe cards.
    OK, it looks like some cards aren't listed as low profile but might actually fit my PC, provided I can fit a new bracket, e.g. http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?NOV-GF6225

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Low Profile http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pe=&srchInDesc=
    and Low profile ready http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pe=&srchInDesc=
    are the terms you want.

As stated filter for PCI_E, AGP or pci as needed. Those will give you a idea of whats available. But stay away from the FX 5200.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Train
    Low Profile http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pe=&srchInDesc=
    and Low profile ready http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pe=&srchInDesc=
    are the terms you want.

As stated filter for PCI_E, AGP or pci as needed. Those will give you a idea of whats available.
    Thanks, but these categories just don't seem to exist on any UK sites! (And NewEgg don't deliver outside North America.)
    A search for "low profile" on most UK PC component suppliers' websites is rather fruitless. Most of the cards available seem to be aimed at workstations and cost £80/$135+.
    But stay away from the FX 5200.
    Why's that?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    The FX 5200 is the worse card ever released by nvidia. Fact is the old MX400 is a better one.

True newegg does not ship overseas, but if you take notes on the information they post, you should be able to find the same make and model of card near where you live.

The FX 5200 is the worse card ever released by nvidia. Fact is the old MX400 is a better one.
    As I said, I don't need any significant performance - what is so bad about it? Will I notice any difference if I don't play games?
    True newegg does not ship overseas, but if you take notes on the information they post, you should be able to find the same make and model of card near where you live.
    I have searched all the UK sites thoroughly and, while I can find low profile cards with standard size brackets, I can't find any low profile cards with low profile brackets. I know I can buy a bracket on ebay but I'm not sure how standardised they are (many claim to be "XFX compatible") so I'm not sure if a particular bracket will fit a particular card.

I'd rather have an ATI 9xxx series card over a nvidia FX5xx0 card. IQ on ATI cards of that era was better.

You could always look for a USB adapter that has TV out.

Quote Originally Posted by allanlewis
    As I said, I don't need any significant performance - what is so bad about it?
    It's a perfect card (the 5200), if you want as little performance as possible. Its failure rate is remarkable. Bizarre artifacts, random blotches/streaks/bars of color, and overheating are just a few of its many talents.

To be fair, there ARE almost as many people who love that card as there are who detest it.

Re the low-profile cards, have you tried pasting an actual part number into the Continental/UK parts sites? It isn't clear from your post...
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Quote Originally Posted by Lgbpop
    Re the low-profile cards, have you tried pasting an actual part number into the Continental/UK parts sites? It isn't clear from your post...
    I have, and none of the "true" low profile AGP cards (i.e. those that come fitted with a low profile bracket) are in stock at any UK site. I assume they're obsolete but still listed. Looks like I'll stick with ebay! But I still need to know if it's generally possible to fit a low profile bracket to any card, i.e. is the joint between the bracket and the card standardised? If so, what tools do I need for the job?

The answer is:

It depends.
    I remember seeing some low profile VGA cards here in the past:
    www.pacificgeek.com, however, I don't see any there now.
    If both the card and the connectors on the card will fit in the physical dimensions of the case, then potentially, you could run a card with no bracket on it at all. I would suggest in that case that you make some other arrangement to secure the card.
    It's not a very different concept from assembling a computer on a tabletop, without a case. I'm sure everyone has seen that before.
    Unfortunately, I know of no standardization between manufacturers about where the connectors are going to be on a card, so I wouldn't count on finding a "standard bracket".
    If you are handy, you could take a card laid out like this:
    http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.a...618&C=221&S=-1, then cut off the excess bracket, and bend the remains to make a new bracket. it might not be pretty, but it would take about 5 minutes with a Dremel tool and a pair of pliers, and no one will see it once it is installed.

my 2 cents.

I just entered "low profile AGP" in google shopping and came up with many hits.

http://www.google.com/search?q=low%2...en&sa=N&tab=fw

Try that on your side of the pond.