Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Possible mismatched memory

I hardly ever go looking for drivers anymore as I use a couple of driver updating services, one payware (Driver Agent), one freeware RadarSync and I have a couple CDs and a DVD with a couple hundred thousand drivers on them that I downloaded from torrent sites. I begrudge the time it takes to hunt these things down, one at a time on the internet. Windows is only too happy to scour these discs looking for a better driver.
    Give RadarSync a try, it's free.
    Last edited by Ol'Tunzafun; 11-02-2008 at 01:16 AM.

Thanks for the tip I've balked at the pay services in the past- but I'm more than willing to let RadarSync or what ever do the deed if its a freebee and accurate!!

I find Driver Agent somewhat buggy, and didn't expect much more from a freebee like RadarSync, but in my limited experience with it, it has been nothing but helpful.

I tried RadarSync on my Athlon 64 based system and found it helpful for applications, but a bit inaccurate as far as HW drivers. It didn't pick up that I had the latest NVidia driver for my GPU and suggested a much older driver, but I did find it useful just the same and will continue to consult it in the future.

That is basically what I experienced with Driver Agent, so I'm not too surprised to hear the same about a freeware version, but when they are at their best, they can save us a lot of time.
    The only northbridge driver that I can find for that, is this one:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...6~4233,00.html
    but being a WHQL driver, XP has probably already installed it on that machine. It would also suggest that there is nothing newer.

Well this alligator has been moved out of the Swap! I wanted to get to this post a few days ago but jury duty and what not got in the way. We received the PC100 SDRAM in the mail and as I suspected the problem is solved!! This system goes along better now than it ever did with XP. I did take Ol'Tunzafun's suggestion that PC100 and 133 SDRAMs are much the same(except 133 has been tested to run at a higher frequency) and tried clocking the PC100 SDRAM at 133. I did this naturally after the PC100 passed several passes of Memtestx86 and guess what? The PC100 passed overclocking with flying colors!! I performance tested this new configuration against the old 512MB 133Mhz SDRAM configuration that was previously in this system and the new overclocked PC100 actually did better on the memory tests and the overall system had a Passmark rating at or near the old system within a margin of error. I would caution newbies out there about over clocking your memory- with this comment: I have altered the cooling system in this case by installing a lot more fans some of which are high 5400+ rpm type fans so this system has a very good air flow going through it. I did this back in the day when I upgraded this system to a 900MHz processor from a 600Mhz. Make sure you have better than normal cooling before you go over clocking things or you're probably in for a rude awakening. Conclusions: The AMD 751 controller had major(in my opinion) errata fixes to its HW after I bought my MOB. In the 751 docs on the AMD site they mention termination specs that memory providers needed to follow to prevent the 751 from seeing memory errors. They mentioned that before choosing a memory vendor you should consult the AVL(Approved Vendor List) for the 751. I did a quick look at the current AMD site and big surprise didn't find an AVL for this old controller! The PC100 memory is Dell memory and works with this config. If there is a place out there that has AVLs for older HW you might want to consult it before buying your next upgrade. Finally, I would like to give a big shout out to all that helped me find the answer to this problem especially Ol'Tunzafun!!