Thread: Bent pins

Bent pins

I reside in Colombia S.A. and my son sent me a new 775 pin motherboard from Seattle, wash. I know how some of the freight is mishandled on these flight but when I got the box I discovered that the CPU pin protector was lying in the bottom of the box and something had contacted the area and bent several of the pins. Have anyone had any success in bending these pins back into place satisfactorily?
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Use a 0.5mm mechanical pencil, or a very thin piece of wood, or a knife blade. Almost anything works great to straighten the pins again. Make sure they line up perfectly in all directions.

I've straightend hundreds of pins on 370 pin and even pins on CF cards etc. but the 775 pins seem so fragile I was wondering if they would really stand much bending wirhout breaking off. In the event that some may be broken, can you successfully replace just the CPU socket without having to resolder everything?
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Remember, the pins are made of gold, so they are very pliable (malleable) and bend easily without breaking off. As an example, if they were made of pure copper they would break off are one bend back.

Since the alternative is a new CPU anyway, you have nothing to lose. Get a good magnifying glass or powerful reading glasses and use a mechanical pencil. The trick is to minimize the number of bends to avoid metal fatigue. Try to get the first bend right the first time.
    MS MCP, MCSE

if it gets ever so slightly over bent, remember, when you put the CPU in, it will push it back into the right angle.
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.41GHZ : Asus M3A78-T : 8GB DDR2 800 : Acer 23" 1080P Widescreen : ATi Radeon HD 4870 : OCZ GameXtremE 850 Watt PSU