Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Marine Corps releases Al Qaeda Terrorist

Quote Originally Posted by BadDriver
    During deep sleep IT came to me and the future of processing is clear.
    Future processors will primarily be digital tuning radios acting as grid computing nodes.
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

Keep it up Hero and you can ride shotgun for werz.

And Murph, you keep outta this or you can ride bee-yatch.

Future processors will primarily be digital tuning radios acting as grid computing nodes.
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    I don't really Like Boatz ........ They wobble about too much when it gets windy N' stuff........ Blech

Quote Originally Posted by j.m@talk
    I don't really Like Boatz ........ They wobble about too much when it gets windy N' stuff........ Blech
    It takes quite nasty conditions for a carrier to ride rough. Ya could almost play billiards or pinball on one.

The thing I rode for 4 years would toss about if you spit over the side.

BD, were you on a tin can?

Did ya do the Torpedo Squadron 8 - Survivor at Miday link?

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq81-8c.htm

Ensign Gay was rear seat in a Devastator during the Torpedo attack against the Jap Carriers. The Jap CAP splashed the entire squadron and Gay was just floating there, grandstanding as the SBD's flamed Soryu, Kaga and Akagi. Quite a story.

CLICK IMAGE

fourth day of June, 1942 on the deck of the carrier, Hornet (CV-8). This is the carrier made famous less than two months prior, when B-25s led by Jimmy Doolittle were launched from her deck in the daring, first surprise bombing raid on Japan. The atmosphere is tense, as the Douglas TBD Devastator torpedo bombers of Torpedo Squadron Eight are poised for takeoff. The pilots' orders are to attack the entire might of the Japanese fleet off Midway Island. Squadron leader, LCdr John C. Waldron and his aircrews are well aware that their chances of survival from this fateful mission are minimal at best. At the time of its introduction in 1937, the Devastator was in the technological forefront of aircraft design. However, five short years later, it was hopelessly obsolete against a powerful, formidable enemy. Flying low and slow against the Japanese armada, all fifteen torpedo bombers were shot out of the sky with only one survivor, Ensign George Gay. However, this action forced the defending Zero fighters down to wave-top level and exhausted much of their fuel, leaving their carriers virtually unprotected. Soon after, SBD Dauntless dive bombers hit and sank three carriers, the pride of the Japanese fleet (the Akagi, the Kaga, the Soryu, and the next day, the Hiryu.)
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun_40
    BD was on RD's. RD-212
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

Yeah, an FFG. Guided missile frigate.

It got quite exciting when we hit heay seas. Here are a few of the specs on it.

Builder: Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine
    Propulsion system: 2 Foster Wheeler 1,200 psi boilers, 1 GE steam turbine, 1 shaft, 35,000 total horsepower
    Propellers: one
    Length: 414.4 feet (126.3 meters)
    Beam: 45 feet (13.5 meters)
    Draft: 26 feet (7.9 meters)
    Displacement: 3,425 tons
    Speed: 27 knots
    Aircraft: one SH-2F (LAMPS 1)
    Armament: one Mk 22 Mod. 0 guided missile launcher for 16 Standard SM-1 MR, one Mk 30 5-inch/12.7cm gun, MK 32 ASW torpedo tubes (two triple mounts), one Mk 16 ASROC missile launcher
    Crew: 17 Officers, 219 Enlisted

Quite a small ship but I liked it. I knew every mofo onboard and I knew who I could trust and who was a rat fink. FNG's were checked out for months before they were trusted. I never got busted on her and I smoked daily. I came close a few times, but I walked. Finks usually had an aversion to coming topside at night.

I would only take one number with me on watch and if things went wrong I would just flip it up in the air, the ship would slide right out from under it.

Ahhh, the 70's and early 80's was a great time to be a sailor. Then came the whizz quiz.
    Last edited by BadDriver; 10-01-2008 at 06:41 PM.

A nice overhead shot of "me boat" making tracks. I think she was bein pushed in this pic. 27 was cruising speed but she had some reserve. I think we were clocked at 31 once, maybe it was only 30.

Yup, what used to be a tin can. Sadly, I never got to a ship. Bad knee, bounced me out of boot before grad. I was pissed. Had security clearance and was E3 by 2nd week of boot. Dumbacres How far can ya run on a ship anywho?

Dumbacres How far can ya run on a ship anywho?
    Not very far. There were knee knockers everywhere too. I've banged my knees a few times at night. 99% of the time we were at "darken ship". If it was overcast you couldn't see squat.

I rode out hurricane David on that can.

Yeehaa, bet that was a vomit inducing ride.

My son was on the AOE 1, Sacramento, something like 750 long, 150 wide, rated for 45 footers. He was a gunners mate. Loved his .50 deck mounted.