Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AMD AM2's and overclocking

AMD AM2's and overclocking

I've been in the market for a new AM2 processor to replace the 3800+ dual core I already have. I'm not an extreme OC'r but from what I have seen on the market...I have a question.

Considering these two processors:

AMD AM2 Athlon 64 X2 5800+ Brisbane 3.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache
    Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core @ $79 w/ free shipping @ Newegg.com

against this one:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core black edition Processor @ $77 W/ free shipping @ Newegg.com

Now I don't mind an extra .28 Ghz coming out of my processor if I can do it without heat issues and it runs stable and that's what I hear most are getting on the black edition 5400+ @ 10% OC'd. However, I see that the 5800+ is already set @ 3Ghz. I am not into OC'n big and heavy but it'd be okay to have a bit more 'umph'.

I also see the wattage compared...65W against a whopping 89W! What's the pro's and con's on that?

Are they getting more out of the $2 less 5400+ than a 10% OC?

Is the 5800+ OC'able?

Is the wattage a major problem requiring a high end power supply, especially if I end up running twin Crossfire GPU's someday...or would my 550W Okia still pump alright?

Thanks in advance for any tips and answers.
    straight from the heart of the Ozarks!

Was hoping for a hint or tip and the differences and which way to go on these two

Quote Originally Posted by djd_201
    Was hoping for a hint or tip and the differences and which way to go on these two
    Now you know why having two threads on the same subject is a waste of time. We're all answering on the other one.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Didn't ever intend on being guilty of opening two threads on the same subject. The other thread sort of wandered off into video cards somewhat due to my own question on the issue and was dealing with processors also...I opened this thread to try to keep it from becoming any more confusing since now I am asking direct comparison of the 5400+ and the 5800+ ... all respect intended on the matter of the threads...never-the-less my question remains on whether the 5800+ is OC'able or not...or is that the direct reason for the black edition in the 5400+...does it mean in other words, that since the 5800+ "isn't" a Black Edition, that it can't be OC'd in the BIOS or not advisable to do so or whatever?
    Last edited by djd_201; 10-01-2008 at 04:50 AM.

Ultimate Member
    Why not go for a phenom x4 or x3?

Talking

SheeshJeeze!

Might as well just by a new computer? smiling

Thanks for the advice and yes, someday I plan on building a tri- or quad-core

But everything I have right now is set up for AM2 and I am merely upgrading and letting Ma get my 3800+ to put on an AM2 Asus RMA board I am waiting for in the mail. Far cheaper than going for broke, or going broke, on new mobo and processor for a new system.

I get to where I can sell out my current computers and I will go for the new build, bet your bottom dollar, or rather, mine ...

I still remember some good advice though on processors and end user needs...

unless you are using game or program intensive applications that require multi-core processors, setting up your system with a dual, tri or quad core processor is fruitless as their processor speeds are far lower for the $ buck, than higher frequency speeds on single cores as a norm for the value. So Ma will be satisfied by far with the 3800+. You and me, well...like Tim the Tool man Taylor, more POWER!

Still would like to know if the 5800+ is OC'able in BIOS settings
    Last edited by djd_201; 10-04-2008 at 06:31 AM.

In your case, and you'll get no complaints here ( LOL ), is your thinking is most logical. Go ahead and get that X2 5800. It will be a huge boost from what ya have and i agree its awfully cheap to spend just $79.00, rather then buy a AMD quad, which by the way, will go by the wayside soon, considering how Intel is lapping AMD in every category in the near future. On that note, if ya want to go with AMD for a new build , then wait a bit longer as they will come out with something soon that is more in the future that might compete.

I wouldn't worry so much about OC'ing either. Its highly overated for performance issues. Not worth the pain , nor warranty issues one might encounter.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

I don't have any experience with those two Brisbane's, but I do have two 5000 BE and they OC very easy. They have the Brisbane architecture.

I agree with Rabbit, if you don't really want to OC then go with the 5800. The 5800 will use more juice and run hotter but there is no fuss.

I only saw a OEM version of the 5800 and of course that means no cooler, Black Editions do not have coolers either, but I expect you are going to use your old one.
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

Any cpu is potentially overclockable. It's the degree you can OC, that's the question. Even if you get a BE, there is no guarantee of how high you can go. One of the main reasons you get a BE is for the unlocked multiplier, which gives you another variable to play with.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103233

This one uses the same wattage and dieset as what i have now, and from the reviews, i think its your best bet, considering for a few dollars more ($13.00 to be exact ) , it would be faster, and still won't overtax your PSU. lol
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Now see, that's where your knnowledge and mine have such chasms on these issues. I am just not near as knowledgeable on this stuff as you, and where you have long ago accepted the specs on this stuff, I have no idea...so I appreciate the patience you expend in taking to the time to explain it to me in detail.

I had always understaood that unless the processor was 'unlocked', you couldn't OC it. With the Black Editions (BE's as you called them) I took it to understand that being unlocked, they were then OC'able. A 5800+ is 'aready' at 3G but high watts too. If I can OC a 5800+ by 10%...well then the processor would be running at 3.3GHz and performing roughly at 6.6GhzPR.

OC'n a lower wattage 5400+ at 10% would get to 5.94Ghz PR but at what cost to wattage and heat...and how much more could I OC it over 10% just to get the speed up and still be stable without overheating to far. I have a Zalman 120mm cooler for the processor and 3 x's 120mm blue LED case fans circulating alot of air in there already.

With the power consumption and higher wattage, would a 550W PSU be okay if I am also runng twin ASUS EAH3650 Silent Magic/HTDP/512M Radeon HD 3650 512MB GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 Video Card ...these are the cards I went with for the money...@ $54.00 per card with a $20 rebate a piece on ZipZoomFly.com...I couldn't justify a higher end card for my mere needs...should run CAll of Duty 4 without too much of a loss to graphics settings wouldn't you think?

let me know what you all think on the OC settings and give any tips you will

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitrunner51
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103233

This one uses the same wattage and dieset as what i have now, and from the reviews, i think its your best bet, considering for a few dollars more ($13.00 to be exact ) , it would be faster, and still won't overtax your PSU. lol
    I'd sure have to agree with you there, and using that sense of logic as a valued tip, for the price....I wouldn't/couldn't go wrong for the money...considering that heavily...

thanks

Not so sure about that. Midknyte hit the nail on the head - overclocking involves a number of variables, and an unlocked multiplier adds one more; probably the most important since it's the easiest. It requires no changes in any other variables to raise the multiplier and see an immediate result.

My 5000BE is clocked ATM at 3.1GHz simply by raising the multiplier to 15.5 - I haven't done anything else except to raise the CPU voltage by .050 volts just to ensure stability. The FSB (or what passes for it now) stays the same, so there's no temp increase, so I don't have to adjust the fan speeds. It's the 65W architecture, too, so it runs at the same (or higher) speed as - and much cooler than - the 89W 6000 with locked multiplier.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Overall, if your really good at OC'ing and considering that the 5400 Black edition is getting easy overclocks from many with that unlocked mutiplier at nearly 3.2GHZ , and also considering it uses less wattage ( my bad for not totally figuring that in before ), I assume that would indeed be your best bet here. It also uses a much smaller dieset, and has better thermal properties.

Yes,you guys seem to be a bit more knowledgeable about these type of things. Personally, in my case, when i buy a CPU, i try and hit the happy medium somewheres.

when buying a CPU for my rigs i have to consider my case size. i have some desk tops and a few lan shuttles. I tend to buy low wattage CPU's for my shuttles and go higher for the desktops. i keep my systems well ventilated and try not to go fan install crazy. either of those 2 CPUs seem like a good deal. The black edition is the way I would go for my lan box. Good luck in your choosing, you can't go wrong either way. AMD's dual cores seem to be a great bang for your buck deal.