Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DVD software

Intimate Member

DVD software

I have a copy of CyberLink Power DVD 6.

This has worked quite well for me in the past, but tonight I tried to watch Gone With the Wind, and received an error that indicates the TV output of my video card is at fault.

I have looked for any settings for the card that would help, but finding none.. I think I need some help.

WinXPH
    256MB DDR
    GF3 Ti 200 video

See attached image.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Last edited by Bovon; 06-30-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    From reading the applet, the protection on the cd stops it from playing through the tv out bit.

Intimate Member
    Thanks Train...

Dangit..as usual (anymore) I leave out specifics.

This Gforce3 Ti 200 only has one video output standard analog connector.

It does have a small black round mini-type plug connector, which I am not familiar with nor ever used. I would presume this is some type TV type connector?..

I recently upgraded from a Win98se/Win2k dual boot hard drive to a new and larger hard drive using WXPH only.

On the older HDD, the DVD's would work just fine, and I could watch a movie on the machine if I wanted to. Using the same CyberLink DVD software.

Yesterday, I installed the CyberLink DVD software and inserted the DVD with the movie...#1, the movie did not auto play and #2 after forcing the CyberLinl pgm to go look at the specific drive where the DVD movie was..it flashed the opening screen of G/W/t/W but immediately gave me the error.

The one difference in the GF3 Ti 200 in this WXPH setup is...durning setup and install of WXPH, setup detected and installed the drivers for the video card...not the original nVidia drivers I have used in the past for this card.

Other than that, the setup is the same as before.

Thanks.
    Rob

It does have a small black round mini-type plug connector, which I am not familiar with nor ever used. I would presume this is some type TV type connector?..
    That probably an svideo port.

So you changed OSes? Did you look for updated drivers? I know it's an old card, but use the newest you can find. Don't use the stock Microsoft drivers unless you have to.

You could always go with VLC instead of PowerDVD.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    And did you install the codecs? Actually it sounds like you did not.

I use the K-Lite Codec Pack , Standard is plenty good enough for most folks.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

Ultimate Member
    If it is an issue with copy protecton, try Anydvd from slysoft.com
    and see if plays ok then.

Intimate Member
    #1, are codecs OS specific?...CyberLink has run movies of all kinds on my machine under Win98 and win2k...without needing anything extra added.

#2, Changed OS's?..yes, and new HDD as well. Just mentioning it USED to work just fine under the two older OS's, and has me now wondering why it will not run with Winxph...

#3, yes..it very well could be the use of Windows drivers instead of some version of the nVidia drivers.

I will look to see what version (later than what I now have...v. 40.41 or maybe 45.33). One of those two didn't work well with Win2k, and I uninstalled that version, and installed the other....long time ago...and I have discovered that not all nVidia driver will work with this older card.

#4, bruceb...this should not be an issue with copy protection...all I am trying to do is play a movie on my computer...due to my vision going south, I can see this large 22" monitor much better than a 24" TV 15 feet away.

Thanks for the thoughts...
    Rob

The codecs would be more for if you were using WMP, but you are using a dedicated DVD player.

You could start with the same 45.33, since they will probably work on xp.

You can try Guru3D for the old detonator driver sets.
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocar...-bit)_c10.html

Intimate Member
    I'll swap drivers Midknyte...thank you..Sorry, but I have no clue what detonator driver sets are...some kind of different drivers for an older nVidia card?
    Rob

Detonator was the name of the older Nvidia driver sets. They are called Forceware now. The very early Forceware (5x.xx series) may also work.

If you had an ATI card, they would be Catalyst drivers.

Intimate Member
    Son of a gun!!

I have missed a lot in recent years...

Thanks!!

Rob

Ultimate Member
    Bovon ... did you recently buy Gone With The Wind or was it a DVD that used to play ok on the computer video card ? ? From the error message you posted, it does look to be a copy protection issue.. The program I mentioned has a Free Trial period .. try it and see if the issue is resolved.
    The whole purpose of ANYDVD or ANYDVDHD (which has hd/blu ray support) is to Remove the
    Protection so it can be watched on a computer. Most home standalone dvd players have circuits built in to elimanate the copy protection while the dvd is being played.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Intimate Member
    Tell you what I will do bruceb is... I still have that old hard drive in its last resting useage.

I will retry that drive...with Win2k...and... Cyberlink..as installed to see if GWtW will play.

I am almost positive I have watched it on this same machine using the older drive in the past without any problems.

It was an eBay purchase...so...all bets are off as to whether or not it is a legit DVD or not.

Like I mentioned earlier, you could use VLC instead of PowerDVD.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Intimate Member
    Ok, I'll give videolan a try,

Checked the website..it didn't say what it costs...if anything.

I changed the GF3 drivers to nVidia 45.33...no help, but did find that the machine will play other DVD's fine, just not Gone With the Wind.

No DVD will auto play, and we used to could turn that feature on or off...but search as I may..I cannot find an option for that now...in Device Manager...or elsewhere..

Maybe videolan will do the trick..

Thanks,
    Rob