Thread: Server localhost

Server localhost

Hey Ya' All,
    I have a localhost setup on my Windows XP computer...
    I have it networked to another computer in my house and sharing files...
    I am using Apache,and a "C"Program that is using the php and mysql database on my computer.
    My Question Is.... how can I use the "C"Program from the other computer in the house...Or is this possible....?
    I typed in the localhost but it won't do anything...
    Is this possible?
    Can I use "C"Program from the networked computer ?

If you type localhost on the client, it will go to itself. you would need to put in the name or ip address of the server.

try pinging localhost. you will see it goes to 127.0.0.1, which is the localhost ip address.

Thanx Midknyte,,,,will give it a shot...
    ok...how do I ping ?

Ok I have the connection to the Server computer but I have the server set to use another partition or drive "e"...I am trying to figure out the path to get there...
    Can you help ? http://0.0.0.0/ ?

You need to set sharing on the drive or a folder on the drive. When you do, you can browse to it with My Network Places.

Don't forget that the "server" needs to know who you are. You must have an account set up on the shared PC with your username and password *or* you need an account on your PC that is the same as the one on the server.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ok ...
    I did a ping but localhost works on..."localhost" and my IPaddress goes to my serverHost page...
    I have to run up and down stairs to the other computer...so will try that...
    This is not a "server" only that I installed Apache and configured it to work as localhost..
    not sure what you meant by account but I will try to figure it out..be back...
    thanx Bill

I think I missed something...
    The wireless connection on the upstairs computer is networked to my main computer...which has Apache...server with mysql , php and perl...setup on it..

I am able to share files when permission is granted from upstairs but....
    I can not open a browser and work on a program like I can on the main computer..
    localhost only accesses the computer that I am on at the moment...
    I have looked for documentation on this but haven't found any as yet...
    I tried the ping but the numbers address does the same ...
    Is what I am attempting impossible without more configuration?
    What am I missing ??
    Do I need to setup Apache on the networked computer to do this ?
    Please if anyone can direct me to info I will appreciate it...
    Thanx
    TW

Are you plannig on hosting a web site or FTP? What is this all about?
    MS MCP, MCSE

well bill , i have a host of which i have been working on oscommerce for a while...
    and was in hopes of working on the osc without uploading and downloading so much while checking the changes....that is why I setup the home server....
    Now I would like to work on the other computer on the same osc without having to setup the other computer with Apache... I only hope ..but if it is not possible I will setup the other with Apache,mysql,php and perl...If I feel it is necessary,,,
    I hope I have answered your question.
    Thanx...
    TW

I thought I made it clear. stop using the name "localhost" when you are talking about your server. that is the designated name for the system itself and will go to the loopback IP address. you cannot use localhost as a server name. you need to set a different name and static IP for the server.

Localhost is by definition the PC you're working on. It's a loopback connection and is normally used to test TCP and your adapter for proper function.

The remote PC is accessed by it's "friendly name" or it's IP address.

Servers (especially Apache) are normally not used for local work. You use FTP or SQL to manage then from another PC/workstation. What's nice about Windows Server is that you can use them for local work, although the default setup discourages such shenanigans - and rightfully so. They are normally mission-critical and local use can damage or contaminate the server. Best practice is to set them up, log off and manage them through a browser on another PC. This is how Windows Home Server works too.

I'm moving this thread to Programming and Web Development. That's where these discussions belong.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thank You two...
    I will be back for more of your wisdom after further investigation of the situation....
    tw

hi i m newbie, you cannot use localhost as a server name. you need to set a different name and static IP for the server.
    Last edited by likhary; 10-22-2008 at 11:33 AM.