Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pc will not boot

Pc will not boot

i had bought a biostar p4m800 pro-m7 mobo with a 3.06ghz cpu. i hooked it up and it would not boot it would turn on like it was going to (the fans were spinning and such) but nothing came on the screen and i heard no beep. so i turn it off and tryed it again same thing then tryed it again and it worked good but every time i shut it off i had to turn it on a couple times for it to work. when it was working it randomly shut down and then now it will not boot up (black screen fans spinning no beeps) i have tryed a new power supply, working agp card and the onboard video, different ram, and different hdd's i even unhooked everything but the ram and cpu and still no go. i have also tryed starting it with a screwdriver and it does the same thing.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Does the mobo/CPU require a power plugged in to a socket? Does the AGP card require power?

We need a full list of equipment you have.

i have a biostar p4m800 pro m7 v 1.2 mobo with 3.06ghz cpu (533mhz fsb), nvidia 7300 gt 512mb video card, 2 sticks of 1 gig 533mhz ram ive tryed using the video card and the onboard video, ive tryed using just one stick of ram and still no go. the board takes a 20 pin and a 4 pin both are connected and the video card takes a plug too all pluged in and rechecked many times and i even tested it all out of the tower and still doesnt work. also i checked the caps and none appear to be leaking or swelling out

Have you thought that maybe the processor itself is dead?
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.41GHZ : Asus M3A78-T : 8GB DDR2 800 : Acer 23" 1080P Widescreen : ATi Radeon HD 4870 : OCZ GameXtremE 850 Watt PSU

well i wanted to try and find out if it was the processor or the board is there anyway to test it without trying it in anouther board?

Unplug all the cards and the ram first off. Use the on-baord video to start, only 1 stick of ram seperately. Also it sounds as if you may have a weak power supply if it doesn't start every time, unplug all the peripheral drives too. Run the absolute minimum of devices to test and even try anothe P.S. you know is large enough.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitardude2007
    well i wanted to try and find out if it was the processor or the board is there anyway to test it without trying it in anouther board?

Nope.

What size, make and model of power supply are we working with?

its a 465w powersupply i got at staples retail plus i think the brand name is its only a cheap one but i brang that one back and got anouther one of the same one and still had the same problem. so is 465w not big enough for it?

its a 465w powersupply
    One would think that 465w should be plenty, but only yesterday, on a similar setup, I was able to resolve a similar problem by replacing a cheap 475w unit with a Fortron 350w.
    Have you tried resettiing to BIOS defaults?
    When you have troubles with a new setup like this, and you have confidence in your PSU, you should pull the motherboard and set it up outside the case, on a non-conductive surface, like a phone book, with only the CPU/HSF and one stick of memory. At that point, if still not working, you can swap out memory and possibly CPU. Once you have done that, you will know where the problem lies.
    Last edited by Ol'Tunzafun; 09-27-2008 at 12:50 PM.

There's more to the PSU actual supply than just the rating. The rating is merely the sum of the wattages of all the different supply rails (3.3V, 5V, 12V, etc.). Cheapo PSUs load up the supply on the little-used but easy-to-boost 3.3V rail. It makes the rating better, but adds little useable power. So, a good 400W PSU can be preferable to a cheap 475W unit.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

A 465w psu , cheap or not , is adequate enough to POST on power on . It doesn't mean that your "cheap" , as you call it, psu is working correctly or not. If it will power on another pc then its likely okay. Its always best to buy an adequate quality psu , since cheaps one don't last, tend to over advertise their power ratings and damage other components when they go bad.

The P4 requires dedicated 12v power , a 4pin square shaped plug . If you don't plug it in the board will power on , but it will appear to be not working. Some psu's don't have the P4 12v plug.

When testing, keep the components to a minimum. You only need the cpu w/heatsink and fan, 1 stick of ram, video , and psu to power on and POST . It should reliably power on and POST every time. If it doesn't, then one of the components is defective, incompatible or inadequate. Usually at this point you have to switch out components with known good ones to eliminate the problem. The psu voltages can be checked with a voltmeter to see if there is adequate power available, but since there is no real load on the system it may appear good until you load Windows or run a power hungry program like a game.
    Its important to check temps during testing. The cpu and main chipset can over heat and cause shutdowns or restarts. Same goes for the ram.
    Also, the vga card and ram should be checked they are correctly installed and seated fully in their slots.

Just from your previous remarks, I would look at a better psu or consider you got a bum motherboard.

i have tried also a 350watt psu that is good and working and still had the same problem so i guess it is either the motherboard or the cpu

what is the name and model number of your "good" psu?
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.41GHZ : Asus M3A78-T : 8GB DDR2 800 : Acer 23" 1080P Widescreen : ATi Radeon HD 4870 : OCZ GameXtremE 850 Watt PSU