Thread: sharing policy

sharing policy

I want to know if it is legal and otherwise OK to share an internet connection with a neighbor. The local Internet Service Overlord is Comcast and I've read their terms of service but it is much too complicated for a serf such as myself to understand. Why don't they just say "you can't share it" or "we don't care if you share it". I use a wired LAN and if it's legal I want to run some cat5 nextdoor. I think if I used a wireless LAN I could do it and and they wouldn't have a clue even if they were inside servicing the equipment but with a cable running out the door they might pick that up.
    Are there any instances of ISP's objecting to this practice.

They do say you can't share it.

http://www.comcast.net/terms/use/

resell the Service or otherwise make available to anyone outside the Premises the ability to use the Service (for example, through wi-fi or other methods of networking), in whole or in part, directly or indirectly. The Service is for personal and non-commercial residential use only and you agree not to use the Service for operation as an Internet service provider or for any business enterprise or purpose (whether or not for profit);

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    If you get caught sharing then you will be arrested for "theft of service".