Thread: Need help fixing my laptop error (STOP: 0x0000008E)

Need help fixing my laptop error (STOP: 0x0000008E)

Okay i have been having a problem with my laptop for nearly a week now and ive tried everything but I just cannot solve my problem. I dont know much about this type of thing but I am a quick learner so please be patient with me.
    When I try and boot my laptop I get this...

We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay...I have tried each option and when windows is starting up it gets to a blue screen which reads...

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to precent damage to your computer....so on so on....

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF803EF6, 0xF6BF77C4, 0x00000000)

*** win32k.sys - Address BF803EF6 base at BF800000, DateStamp 43446a58

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After this it restarts but I managed to change a setting to disable the auto restart so I could read this error. My laptop will not load up at all so I cannot acess any system recoverys or anything that i know off.
    Please if anyone can help me reply to this thread.
    Thankyou.
    (Rhys)

I had exactly the same issue with Co-workers PC last week. His was a Gateway Desktop but had the same error message and I couldn't get into safe mode on his either. I tried Avira Rescue CD and the UBCD to clean it up but couldn't find anything to to repair. I tried to copy the win32k.sys from a good working system with the same results. I removed his harddrive and Backed up all his data and since he didn't have his original OS disk (machine from e-bay) He purchased a XP pro OEM disk and I reinstalled windows and restored all his data. I would have tried a Repair install but going From XP home to XP Pro kind of killed that option. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I personally think it was a serious trojan that corruped his windows install. He told me AVG had "fixed" some file after a scan and then he began getting the error. The reinstall has been running fine since last monday. If you find a real fix for this I would love to hear about it.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    One of the Microsoft knowledge base articles suggest this could be a virus.

What anti-virus and anti-spyware programs do you use?

Try Avira AntiVIR, Spybot S&D, Trend Micro Housecall and then let us know what they find.

I repeat: Did you run a hard drive diag? What about a memory test? Make sure the hardware is good before you waste time on software.

If the hardware passes, there is a good chance that it's a virus or spyware.