Thread: Hello- CPU Overheating diagnosis help

Hello- CPU Overheating diagnosis help

Hello fellow techies.

So here is my dilemma. I am slapping together a new computer, and I need a little help diagnosing why my CPU is overheating. Here are my specs.

CPU INTEL|C2D E8500 3.16G 775 45N
    MEM 2Gx2|CORS TWIN2X4096-6400C5
    HD 640G|WD 7K 16M WD6400AAKS
    WIN XP PRO X64
    CASE TT|VA8003BWS BK
    MB ASUS P5Q DELUXE 775 P45 ICH10R
    VGA PNY VCGGTX280XPB GTX280 1G
    PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W

I put the rig together and booted it up. The first thing I did was check the CPU temp and it was at 65 C then climbed to 76 C. All settings on default. I didn't use any thermal compound and I am using the manufacturer's fan, so I thought maybe that was the issue. So I thought ok, 170 F I can deal, but after installing windows I checked again and the temp had climbed to 93. Right then I shut it down. I've come up with a couple of possible reasons for the temp being so high.

1. I need thermal compound and a better cpu fan, but that seems unlikely since even with the manufacturer's fan I should be at a no higher than 50 C
    2. The default voltage settings are too high and that is causing my complications with my cpu.
    3. The CPU is DOA and I need to RMA.

I would appreciate any input. Thank you very much.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You ABSOLUTELY need thermal compound on the CPU. A thin layer of Artic Silver is all you need. I always buy the best heatsink with the biggest fan I can find. Cooling is critical on a CPU.

The mobo should have no problems setting the correct CPU voltages.

The CPU was NOT DOA, but it may be dead now since you ran it without any thermal protection. The manufacturer will check the CPU for damage and may not replace it free for you.

you need thermal compound. That is a given. Even the stock heatsink comes with some.

Are you sure you mounted the heatsink properly? The fact that you didn't use thermal grease is one thing, but mounting the heatsink can be tricky.

I never use the stock Intel HSF, and surprised you didn't know about the thermal compound - the HSF that came with the CPU would have a patch of it underneath.....go get a decent cooler; it'll make a big difference in reliability and stability later on.

I prefer the coolers that mount above and below the mobo. At least it won't popout unexpectely later on and cause real problems - it's happened to one of my son's computers - fortunately he knew right away the CPU was running hot and we fixed in 20 minutes w/no damage or issues
    "hope to someday have a clever or inspirational quote....."
    ANON

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate them.

The stock heat sink did come with some thermal compound. What I meant to say was I applied no additional compound, and that is why I was so surprised at the initial high temps.

The CPU is not damaged fortunately.

Again, I really appreciate the comments, I'll get going on them.

I needed to post that so I didn't look like a complete idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by rmanet
    ... At least it won't popout unexpectely later on and cause real problems - it's happened to one of my son's computers -
    I run into this often enough myself with guys building their own pc's. I prefer to check under the board that the pins are engaged correctly before mounting the board in the case, but that's not always convenient. Chances are he has a corner that's not engaged properly.

IMO, the socket 775 stock HSF's cool just fine for the newer Dual Core or Core 2 Duo's .

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RUXA
    What I meant to say was I applied no additional compound, and that is why I was so surprised at the initial high temps.

You should never apply more thermal compound to a heat sink with a thermal pad. I always scrape off the pad and apply my own Artic Silver layer. The thinner the better or it will only squeeze out anyway.