Thread: About a raid installation

About a raid installation

I want to capture HD video and I need a raid configuration with at least two SAS disk drives. With Winfows XP do I only need a SAS controller stuck in the motherboard or a whole server? If I installed a logical raid, would I just need A DD with Windows and these two SAS DD?

Why do you "need" a Raid and which Raid do you think you "need?"
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Please say what application you are running.

You can get a standalone SAS controller card, but make sure it has XP drivers. Some only have Win2k3/Unix/Linux drivers.

I'm guessing you mean disk drive (DD). Usually people say hard drive (HD). Since you're doing video, I think you mean RAID0. In that case, you should your OS on a separate drive.

Details are important. You left out big chunks of information.

Wink

As sais I am running Windows XP. I have a HD with this OS and at the moment another HD dedicated to storage of documents. I have bought two fast SAS HD and I would like to add and combine them in a raid 0 array. What are the other needed components? I know it takes a SAS controller and of course a cable. Do I need a special case for the two SAS disks, another motherboard, another HD with Windows 2003 server, a controller, or are Windows XP, an additional fan, a controller, a cable in the same tower as the actual components enough?

I already told you. You just need to add a SAS controller that has XP drivers.

What program are you running that is asking for SAS RAID? Most of the time, they would just recommend a RAID, but not specify the type of hard drives.