Thread: CRC error when copying files off DVD+R

CRC error when copying files off DVD+R

Hi folks. I have some files backed up on a Taiyo Yuden Fujifilm DVD+R some years ago.

Just yesterday, I took the disc out and wanted to copy some stuff from it onto my PC. While doing the copy, an error message popped up saying something like a CRC error occurred, and the file copy was aborted.

I tried it a 2nd time and the same error occured. At this point of time, I could still see the files on the drive. The DVD+R could still be recognised by my dvd-rw drive on the 1st computer.

So I tried copying files one at a time, and managed to pull off a few files in that manner.

Then I popped the disc into a 2nd computer, and the drive persistently blinked its LED, and the disc wouldn't be recognised this time round. I tried it on a 3rd computer, no go. Same symptom. Now I took the disc and popped it back into the 1st computer that originally could at least recognise the disc.

This time round, the drive on the 1st computer refused to recognise the disc.

What gives? Is there any way I can recover the files from the disc (does an application like IsoBuster work in such a situation?)

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/a...load=1&ID=1739

See if CDCheck can help recover the data.

Hi Sterling_Aug, tried running that but I got this error:

error;win32;The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted. (code: 1005);F:\

And then the process aborted.

Any other ideas? Thanks again for your help.

Use your Google foo grasshopper.

The force is strong.

Hi Sterling_Aug, sorry but I don't understand you. Is grasshopper some kind of software?

Ol'Tunzafun: Thanks for the link! I tried the software, but the disc doesn't get recognised when I pop it in. The software says "There are no CD/DVD drives for restore operation. You should insert CD/DVD disk into CD-ROM drive."

I think the disc is a goner. But I would really like to know why I could still read it 5 minutes ago (on that fateful night) when I managed to pull a file off it, and then 5 minutes later the drive simply refused to recognise the disc after I popped it into 2 other optical drives...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_(TV_series)

Grasshopper was the nickname that the Shaolin Master would call the young David Carradine in the TV show.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Try a lens cleaner cd and make sure the sureface of the cd is apnking clean.

I have had some fairly good luck with running the cd through a polishing machine.

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/07/h...r-cd-disc.html

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Forgot about ISO Buster myself.