Thread: Realtek HD Audio Codec issue with Vista

Ultimate Member

Realtek HD Audio Codec issue with Vista

Evening all,

I recently treied upgrading to the newest version of the Raltek HD audio Codec for Vista (Business x64).

I've never had an issue with Realtek drivers before, however upon attempting the upgrade and rebooting all audio has disappeared. It now appears that the only audio driver i can use is the built in "High Definition Audio Device" driver from MS

I have tried rolling back, reinstalling, installing older previously working drivers, however upon reboot the Audio device will be disabled, enabling it will attempt to iinstall the driver and fail (giving a variety of error codes, usually "Code 1: the device is not properly configured"). The only way i can get any audio is to manually select a driver (all the realtek ones and the MS driver are listed) from which only the MS one will work.

As such im stuck with the MS driver and no access to the Realtek Audio Control Panel, which is a bit pants

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling from Safe Mode, using the Realtek .exe, manually selecting the driver file and running the Realtek installer multiple times to remove existing files -- nothing seems to be working.

I've trawled the net and cant seem to find anyone with similar problems. Any ideas boys and girls?

Cheers

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]

Did you try a system restore?
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

Ultimate Member
    Yep, no luck there

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    [/B]

if it's onboard audio maybe disable in BIOS - run the RealTek audio .exe file I think you said uninstalled drivers? I've had similar issues with soundcards and especially printers where they say to install the software first, then install the device.

Try rebooting and install the software the original RealTek software? Then reboot, enable onboard audio - see if you can find drivers then, in either the listing, the folder RealTek installed to on the HDD, or maybe the OS will find it automatically?

Just an educated guess - this kind of problem is maddening - let me know if any of this works?
    "hope to someday have a clever or inspirational quote....."
    ANON

Ultimate Member
    No luck with any of that, ive tried so many different combinatiosn now im starting to go loopy

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

[/B]

yeah - I made the mistake once or twice when I saw in M$ update that they had a new device driver for an audio or video card - it always jacked up my system. In fact I fixed it by going out and buying a new soundcard because - unless you really have a nice spreaker system - it didn't matter much to me, and they were cheap.

Have you tried one of the registry cleaners then doing it all over again, or even doing a backup of your registry and using regedit to look for realtek keys? Might find something there. Or maybe an earlier restore point - say a week before the day you used the updated driver?
    "hope to someday have a clever or inspirational quote....."
    ANON

Ultimate Member
    This is doing my mash in now -- not only can i still not get the relatek drivers to install i appear to have lost the ability to process input on the line in too. I used to run output from my X360 into the input port on the onboard and then output it via my Audigy 2ZS.

I can see the audio hitting the Line In (the little oscilliscope thingie fluctuates) - but no output from the Audigy 2

Any suggestions folks?

Cheers

--Jakk
    "You don't know Jakk..."

[/B]

It does sound like the sound card, just as rmanet mentioned earlier.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

You might want to scour the EEEPC forums as several models use Realtek HD audio and there are a few tutorials on what people had to do to make theirs install correctly when they dumped Debian for XP and Vista. I tried to convert my EEEPC to XP and never could get the Realtek HD audio working correctly so I went back to Linux. That's the best I can offer, Jakk.

Jak.. Recently i had some real issues with my Audigy 2 ZS card, and like you after i tried to re-install and fix things, for some odd reason over a sort amount of time, I would get issues with someting not working at all or wwindows errors when i clicked on EAX or the mixer etc.. Since then i decided to diss the card after over six years of use and go with the onboard sound, which by the way, is also Realtek Audio. i since have zero issues and the sound works real good if ot as good or better then my old audigy card.
    What i had to do was disable the onboard audio in the bios, then install the drives and card stuff all over again. I also fond that i 'personally myself had to update the Creative WMI drivers etc.. in the control panel after doing the above. reboot and then i got sound.

It seems that having both Realtek and Creative in ones system 'do not get along' period for some odd reason. One of the other is the key.

For your ref. ,what i had to do was TOTALLY uninstall ALL the Creative stuff in my system and registry, before all would install and work properly,that is, when it did.

When i wrote to Creative about my issues they informed me that they no longer provide support for that card. I would suggest buying a newer model with updated Vista included support.

I also agree that from what i was reading on the net, thier is alot of stuff out there on Realtek Audio and some occurences for some. Good idea to visit some forums or 'goggle ' on your issues. LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS