Thread: Outlook won't start

Outlook won't start

I am using Vista on a Dell laptop. Outlook has worked flawlessly up until today. I am getting the following message when starting MS Outlook--Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Oultook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file:
    C:\Users\Mik\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlo ok.pst Quit Outlook and all mail enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file.

I worked my may through the list of folders mentioned and there is no Outlook.pst file in the Outlook folder. I do not know how to get to the Inbox repair tool as Outlook will not launch. Any suggestions on how to get this up and going would be much appreciated.

Instead of manually looking for your PST file, use the Search feature (Start > Search > FIles and Folders.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227
    MS MCP, MCSE

Open the Mail applet in Control Panel and create a new profile. You should still be able to use your existing PST file.

http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm

The outlook.pst file is not found doing a search. The Scanpst.exe is not found, thus it will not run when entered. I am not having any luck in creating a new profile. Is there anyway to create a new .pst folder or do I have to reinstall Outlook 2007?

In the search options expand more advanced options and make sure to check "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search sub folders"

You may have to instruct Search to look in hidden files, or you can unhide the files by opening My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files.
    You will then likely find your PST file at Documents and Settings <user> Local Settings > Application Data > Microsoft > Outlook

Okay...thanks for all your help. I created a new profile and Outlook launched and downloaded email that was stored on the company server for the last two days. (That is all I had selected when setting up the computer originally). Of course, all my calendar entries are now gone. Is there any way to restore those from the old .pst file? Thanks for bailing me out on this one. I can get more reliable help from you guys in a couple of hours than I can from our own tech support in a week. Thanks again.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to repair the .pst file. So, give this a try Mike,

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...563001033.aspx

Note:

For XP = Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\scanpst.exe
    For Vista = Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMapi\1033\scanpst.exe

Be sure you unhide hidden files and folders to see the .pst file , "C:\Users\Mik\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outl o ok.pst " , and do check your spelling

I entered the command for Vista (For Vista = C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMapi\1033\scanpst.exe) and get an error message that "C:\Program" cannot be found. It is obviously there as I scrolled through the folders to make sure.

Thanks, Bob. Good news! I found the Inbox Repair tool at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12. I entered the location of the corrupted .pst file, ran the application and all is right with the world. The repair was successfully made and I went back to my original profile. All contacts and calendar entries are intact. Thanks for leading me in the right direction. It would have taken me quite a while to reload all that info.

Seems I gave you the path for Office 11 , so my bad. But, you got it working , and that's what counts. Nice job.