Thread: VIPRE - User BEWARE

VIPRE - User BEWARE

Just purchased a VIPRE upgrade from Counterspy. What an awful experience with software!

1. Installed on a laptop, Win XP latest updates. On first (and any) scan the laptop reboots. Totally unusable, and my Norton is gone.

2. Installed on a desktop, Win XP, latest updates. On first scan, VIPRE deleted (without warning) a file needed to sign on to the machine and made it so it would not boot. File was rtlgina2.dll, which was installed when a NetGear wireless USB adapter was installed. From what I see on various forums, this kind of file is also installed when you install a Linksys wireless USB adapter. Not only was VIPRE unusable, so was the machine!

I did not install the software on any other machines (obviously!). USER BEWARE!

You would have to pay me BIG money to install this software again!

At least it got rid of Norton.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

And this is your first post ?

I've installed the trial version onto a few XP boxes, which is the same but not registered, without any issues. It is rather new, but I found it lives up to Sunbelt's good rep. , low resources as advertised and cleaned what others missed. My only concern is the reports of its weak rootkit detection/removal abilities. My guess they will remedy this quickly with an update. I'm still testing its abilities before I push it onto others , but so far its a good recommend IMHO. Hopefully, we will see other Sysopt members opinions before we pass judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lgbpop
    At least it got rid of Norton.
    lol . Likely the problem , 2 AV's fighting for dominance , a bad mix.

Norton can be reinstalled. People don't realize that you can reinstall anything as long as you still have the activation code - usually in the e-mail received when it was purchased.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Middle Age Member
    Setting up a new Windows PC:

1. Uninstall bundled Norton/Symantec software in safe mode

2. Remove 10,000 Norton/Symantec entries from registry that only pretended to uninstall

3. Install decent security/AV applications

equalizer700, rest assured we extensively tested VIPRE over many months. What you experienced is not normal.

I'd be happy to help you personally get your issue resolved. We are very committed to making the VIPRE experience as outstanding as possible. Please feel free to email me at alexe(at)sunbeltsoftware.com

Alex Eckelberry
    CEO, Sunbelt Software

Now THAT is service.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Wow, I didn't see that coming!

Welcome to Sysopt , Alex . Its impressive to see support come from the top like this. Kudos to Sunbelt.

We are big Counterspy proponents here. I'm sure he knows that and he's showing his appreciation. Even that is rare these days and it's quite refreshing to see.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Hi Alex,

I beta tested CS for a long time. In fact I was the guy that supplied your threat database with over 10,000 pre-2005 infections that you did not have until I sent them to you via Eric at my expense in money and considerable time in June 2006. I didn’t even get a free CS license as a thank you.

When testing CS I submitted multiple whitelists, of large, small and obscure programs. So on a clean Windows install and CS updated none of the applications that were included in my whitelist test file were included. So I always received the same prompts that a legitimate program was flagged as suspicious. Were I and many others just wasting out time?

Again, I expected the whitelist of CS to be part of VIPRE. But oh no. The same old story. Even well known applications are constantly flagged as suspicious.

I much preferred the CS interface over the VIPRE interface but I’m glad you included my request for right-click menu integration to scan a file. It isn’t perfect but it is better than nothing. I need to test this further.

I cannot say whether VIPRE is any better than CS as no comparison between the two is given, except that to upgrade from CS to VIPRE is about $10 more.

The VIPRE interface could do with tightening up too.

Alex, what is the total number of infections in your threat database now. I need it for my website as a reseller.

...as a reseller, don't you have direct contacts? As an enterprise user, I do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I haven't been on this forum or Sunbelt's forum for ages. I have to many others things on the go now.

I saw the post from Alex so I thought I would post.

Every time you guys post here (me too!), you're bumping a thread that was created by a one-time poster with who knows what for an agenda. He hasn't returned, in case no one has noticed. If his purpose was to pan Vipre, we're helping him do that.

I suggest that this thread be closed because it's basically just hearsay and the original poster is missing in action.
    MS MCP, MCSE

done....
    "hope to someday have a clever or inspirational quote....."
    ANON