Thread: left or right mouse button not working

Question left or right mouse button not working

This is a normal Lenovo (IBM) notebook running Windows XP. Like any current model, it has the mouse pad build-in (on top of the main body). The mouse itself functions perfectly as the cursor can move around the display. However, neither the left-mouse-click nor right-mouse-click that are on the main laptop body works.

I connect a normal, working, external USB mouse to the USB port, the problem is the same. The mouse cursor moves properly but the mouse-click-button never works. Therefore I cannot do anything except shutting down the pc after it is booted up.

The problem remains the same after rebooting. Actually I boot up the system with BARTPE (if you know what it is) from a CD, it has the same problem. Therefore I am quite sure it is not the operating system.

I think this is unusual, isn't it? What is the problem?

Thanks.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Sounds like the touchpad ribbon cable got loose inside and is not connected, except for the fact that a USB mouse does the same thing, then that throws a monkey wrench into that idea.

If it is covered under warranty, call IBM tech support and get it checked out for free.

C-A-D once to get the Task Manager; using that and the Tab button you can navigate and work. It's slow but you can at least check the status of the touchpad drivers in Device Manager. They may need reinstalling. It may be easier to do a System Restore first.

Also, next startup go into BIOS and make sure the mouse/touchpad settings are correct.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!