Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: reinstall windows

reinstall windows

i've got an older dell xps m140 with windows xp pro on it. i'd like to format it but i lost the cd. i have a windows xp home cd though.. could i use this cd? if not, where could i get a windows xp pro cd from?

One of my laptops is a Dell and the XP OS cd that came with it, will only work in my Dell laptop. As far as I believe that is how Dell sets up their pc's & notebook. If you are the original owner, you can call Dell and see if they can help you. Otherwise you will have to go on line and buy an OEM version of XP Pro. XP is still available online but not in retail stores
    Asus M2N-E, AMD 64 X2 4200, Asus GeForce 9600 GSO, 3GB Kingston DDR2, Seagate IDE 160GB, Maxtor IDE 200GB, Dell 24" E248WFP

dell xp cds are bios coded, so you'd have to get it from dell.

if you are already using the xp home on another system, then you can't install it on a second computer. that violates the EULA.

Get Home. It's cheap and available:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116511
    MS MCP, MCSE

I wouldn't say $90 is cheap...
    So I called Dell and even though the laptop has been out of warranty for a year now the guy on the phone said he could send me the cd's free of charge..
    There's no way installing XP Home onto the PC using an XP Pro CD key though, right? I mean technically Pro is more expensive so it's as if I'd downgrad myself.. kinda like buying a business ticket and then asking to fly economy at the gate..

ps. sweet avatar BipolarBill
    Last edited by loAol; 08-05-2008 at 11:05 AM.

Answer is no! And $90.00 is cheap if Dell wasn't able to help you and send you the cd's! If you do want to use XP Home, you would have buy the OEM and a new key. The XP OS's that Dell provides are made only for your system. Just like Midknyte said in an earlier post. "Dell cd's are bios coded for your exact system.
    Asus M2N-E, AMD 64 X2 4200, Asus GeForce 9600 GSO, 3GB Kingston DDR2, Seagate IDE 160GB, Maxtor IDE 200GB, Dell 24" E248WFP

If you can get it free, go for it.

Don't be badmouthing Home. I use it. I doubt that you know the real differences.
    MS MCP, MCSE

What? Who's bad mouthing Home Bill? I never said that, he wants to use Home on Dell that has been installed with Pro?

And Dell will send him the original cd's that came with his notebook, which is Pro. It's not Home which he wants, he's not paying for anything? I've never bought Pro, never have and never will.

I really doubt that your client knows the difference or needs Pro. Only system admins and businesses need it. Do you really think that this client knows how to use encryption or needs file privileges?

I've seen so many PCs that had a perfectly legitimate version of Home ruined by "upgrading" to the "corporate" (illegal) version of Pro that it makes me sick. That version cannot use Windows Update or get SP2/3. It's insecure and easily hacked. Those people that think Pro is "better" than Home are causing much of the havoc that is making the Internet a really dangerous place. Pro is NOT better than Home. It runs more services and is slower than Home. It has features that 99% of users cannot fathom, much less utilize.

Here is a page about the differences:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_home_pro.asp

The one concerning "Multi-processor support" doesn't apply for multi-core CPUs. Those are supported in both Home and Pro.

Do you see anything on that page that this user needs? He can't even maintain his own PC!

George Carlin had a bit where he said "Consider the intelligence of the average American and then consider that fully half of them are, by definition, even more stupid than that. That's really scary." I couldn't agree more. No one is willing to take the time to educate themselves about anything. They seem to want to just be told what to do. I have very little hope left for humanity if these people are going to be running the show.

End of rant.

As to your situation, you are getting free replacements, so good on you.
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 08-05-2008 at 01:09 PM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Alright.. first of all this is not my laptop. This laptop belongs to a friend, who has no interest in computers and hence has no idea how to use them. He barely is able to open internet explorer on his own. Also he bought the laptop at least 3 years ago. Losing the Cds that came with the laptop isn't my fault and you really can't blame him for it either.
    Secondly, BipolarBill, I do not know the difference between Xp Home and Pro. All I know is that Pro costs almost three times as much as Home. Knowing the difference between Home and Pro is not part of a good education, my friend.
    Thirdly, why are you ranting in the first place?! I'm not trying to cheat microsoft into getting pro over home. The laptop came with pro. The original cd's were lost and all I had was an XP Home cd from my own computer.
    Lastly, it's smart-***es like you, who conclude that just because my friend and I don't know as much as you when it comes to computers that we're idiots. Some people don't have the time to educate themselves about every ****ing little thing. There's plenty of things that I am more educated about then you are and if you we're to ask me about it I'd take my time and explain it to you without the ****ing attitude.
    If you want something legit to rant about, why don't we talk about America's driving situation? A 16 year old can drive a car and all it takes is one lousy test, a parents signature and some fat black woman sitting in the passenger seat next to you for 10 minutes. Have you ever been blocked by several cars driving the speed limit in the left lane? Has it ever happened to you when no other cars are around? Has it ever happened to you when there were three lanes? I think we can all agree that Americans aren't perfect. But guess what? NEITHER ARE YOU! So keep your self-centered, know-it-all, egocentric rants to your ****ing self!

End of rant.

ps. NICE AVATAR!

This is not your thread, so why are you getting involved? I AM a smartass - for good reason. If you think you can out-smart me, take your best shot. Try to do it without resorting to colorful language. That's another example of the decline in intelligence.

My rant is directed to LoAol. He edited his post to remove his reference to Pro being better.

Everything in my rant is true. Do you dispute that? If not, back off.

BTW - I am not a moderator anymore, so feel free.
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 08-05-2008 at 02:49 PM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I'm not an english major so I won't try outsmarting you linguistically. That is I have no reason nor will to disprove you're idiocy. I know you're kind and it doesn't matter what I have to say; you won't listen. You're too close-minded and self-centered to believe anything else but you're own opinion. You proved my point by asking me to dispute you're rant about XP Pro and Home after I told you that I am no expert in this field.

ps. thanks for proving my other point about you making false conclusions. the edit for my first post was to add: "ps. sweet avatar BipolarBill "

You can have the last word.
    MS MCP, MCSE

well at least you're somewhat mature