Thread: network router restriction on music-sharing ?

Question network router restriction on music-sharing ?

I had a Win-XP machine sending audio to a Roku Soundbridge by Wifi. With a Wifi card in the PC everything was OK, but with a 100Mb wired link to a Zyxel Prestige 600 wifi-router, The Roku saw the server but was unable to connect. The only configuration that worked was with the Wifi card enabled and the Wired connection disabled.

I now have a new machine running Vista with only a wired connection (at present) to the same Wifi router as before. The Roku sees the server OK (Windows Media Player as installed with Vista), but sees zero Artists and zero albums. Another PC has access to the full library, so no permission problems.

Do I need to bypass the router again ? The port filtering in the router only applies between Lan and Wan, so no blocking in the router as far as I can see.

All suggestions welcome, before I give up and put a Wifi card in the PC. I am really tired of enabling and disabling when I switch between running network backups (100Mb) and serving music (wifi).

You can try this, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics

However on a Client OS (not a real server OS) two cards should Not be On and connected at the same network. Two cards are meant for two independent Networks and bridging.
    cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Yes, thanks for the information. The Vista machine at present only has the one wired Lan access, and I am trying to do all the communication by that. If I abandon that plan and install a Wifi card, I could set up the wired connection as the default link, and let the system do the best it can to send to the Roku ! It might just work !!!