Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EVGA 133-K8-NF41 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

EVGA 133-K8-NF41 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Having problems with heat issues here and need to figure out the cause...I am new to this setup so 'bear' with me...I'm trying to tough it out.

here's the setup:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    EVGA 133-K8-NF41 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon™ 64 Model 3800+
    Socket Socket 939
    ADA3800DAA4BP

OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum
    matched 2x 512 MB (1024 MB) DDR 400 MHz 2-3-2-5 timings

Seagate 160GB SATA II Hard Drive 3.5
    Model # ST31602120SCE/FW Ver 3.ACF
    DB35.2/ 7200

1x Samsung DVD-Burner SATA
    1x LG CD Burner EIDE

MSI Nvidia 128MB PCIe Video
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

with the OCZ memory in it, the computer boots and make it to the boot screen, no OS installed yet, and the temps slowly rise to kingdom come...this takes ten or more so miniutes

am I mistaken in running dual channel memory with a simple 3800+ single core?

I'm getting some weird rattling high speed noise out of the video card that wasn't there at first also...but I have it in the 16X correct slot of the three (the other two are supposed to be 8X from what I've read?

I got the heat issue down somewhat by simply installing 4 Xs's 256 PC3200 all the way across the board...now I am attempting to install an XP OS to see what things will do...I can send BIOS setup details if need be.

What would you guys think it is?
    -------------------------------------
    Also, if you would please, where/what is the best place/way, to attach a temp sensor from the case LED to the cpu for most accurate readings?
    Last edited by djd_201; 07-23-2008 at 06:10 PM.
    straight from the heart of the Ozarks!

It's not the RAM, but don't assume that the previous owner was smart - clear CMOS.

The card may have a bad fan or a loose heatsink. Take it out and eyeball it.

Reseat the CPU to be sure.
    MS MCP, MCSE

adding more dimms should increase temp, not decrease it.

sounds like the fan bearings on the video card are bad. it could also be clogged with dust and debris, which makes it spin funny.

This is a cheapie MSI 128 video card PCIe...no fan included...just a large heatsink. How do I check to be sure its PCIe BTW...I'm taking it out now...guess it wouldn't work at all if it was AGP

it is making a rapid clicking sound, almost like a wire too close to the CPU fan or a case fan...but I have checked all the other fans...this mobo comes with a small fan on the 'southbridge'? and the tail of the low profile video card sets right at the top but doesn't seem to be interfering with it any.

I need to find out details on this card and don't have anything to check it with...

it came included in the total computer purchased so it was already installed of course.

As for the other issues...even though I found the bar code for the mother board product item, I have no serial number for it...only also, a part number obtained off of Tigerdirect or some other site...so without the serial number for the product....tech help and support on eVGA's site is worthless. They don't even show the board (a 2002 or 2003 I believe) in their downloads...only the NF41 chipset features which took care of 'some' of my driver issues...I still need LAN, video controller and sound...let me work on the video card and see what I can find out and get back to you...

thanks for the help and keep any and all tips comin'

Drew in Mizzourah

Okay...I learned a little bit...shoulda' researched before I posted.

PCIe and AGP are not interchangable so there's no doubt this is a PCIe video card. I see the difference in the slots...told ya' I was a newbie kindergartener on these setups! smiles...thanks for the patience.

Also, I took the heatsink off of this card and found the chip details...
    It's showing up as an MSI Nvidia Gefore 6200 TC (Turbo Charged) 128MB PCIe video card...but DDR2!!!!

Now this board doesn't need the DDR2 form factor does it? Not according to anything I can find in the manual...this dummy I bought the computer from shipped it in one wrap of bubble wrap and it came in so damaged I had to insist on getting a $20 refund from him...then the 36G Raptor hard drive had a broken SATA pin and the drive would freeze the computer if you used it. So I got the Seagate SATA2 160G 7200 at a good price and loaded it up.

Is this DDR2 card giving me the issues with heat? Has it possibly damaged the board.

link to the video card...its the second card on the right

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...36&cat3_no=138

DDR2 motherboard ram and DDR2 video card ram are mutually exclusive. IE, you don't need DDR2 on the motherboard to have DDR2 on a video card.

Anything could have happened by the way you describe it. something could be shorting out on the video card.

If the box was that damaged, why did you accept it? you could have sent it back or at least tried to make a claim through the shipping company.

More info;

Sorry for the long windedness...
    it's just my bad...habit...of thinking out loud and throwing whatever info at you I can so you guys can help me sort it out...sorry

I am on a hold...further inspection found also a problem with the south system fan on the Nvidia chip which I 'thought' was in good shape...

I have to pull the whole motherboard and inspect it further to see how to get it off...

if I need a new one or replacement...how do I go about getting one?

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    DDR2 motherboard ram and DDR2 video card ram are mutually exclusive. IE, you don't need DDR2 on the motherboard to have DDR2 on a video card. Anything could have happened by the way you describe it. something could be shorting out on the video card.

If the box was that damaged, why did you accept it? you could have sent it back or at least tried to make a claim through the shipping company.
    It's a simple issue of falling into the "damaged item claims"...

This guy shipped the computer so hap-hazzardly in a simple case box without foam or proper protection, that even when I did the right thing and filed with UPS right off the bat, the delivery person "Craig" (who we know pretty good...it's like that in these little towns like California, MO) came by promptly and agreed as I knew well, that UPS would have denied the claim due to inappropriate negligent packaging. You can't ship six dozen eggs in a rickity box and cry about it when they break....insurance doesn't work that way. I'm sure you realize what I am explaining

Filing a dispute on ebay, and winning a claim through PayPal naturally takes time. The seller offered to refund the $85 if I shipped it back to them. Then realize that if you are required to ship the item back to the seller (another $25 or +) and you lose the original shipping charge, ...even if you win (I've never lost a PayPal claim yet) you're looking at a $65 loss. My Pappa taught this ol' hick of a son a long time ago not to throw good money after bad.

The key to the issue is that I originally only paid $135 total for the computer...the case is resurrectable but will never be splash fancy new of course, and an NZXT case wasn't ever an economy version ( I love the ease of setup in building and wiring one up) check out some of their current cases...

The eVGA motherboard isn't a cadillac, and most have differing opinions on motherboards. My understanding is that Asus and Dfi have some pretty hot LAN party boards, and I am uneducated and not hip on all that stuff...but the eVGA board of this nature wasn't all that cheap as if an economy board, new...

with a hopefully working motherboard that can take an FX dual core 'maybe' 'someday'?...and the case even crippled a bit...I'm still in the good as far as working it into a decent system.

Sorry again for the long windedness, I get real annoying that way...smiles.

But I guess for a first assault into SLI boards and learning...this is a good piece of clay to work with so far.

I bought a 256 PCIe card last night pretty cheap, even though its DDR1...its a step up from a 128mb card...which I will sell cheap. (Thanks on the tip of the difference and compatibility of DDR memory and DDR2 video being independant of one another) The 256Mb ATi Readeon only ran $27 with shipping and I am just not ready to go to a 512MB right now till I get all the issues settled.

Maybe someday I will think about an inexpensive dual core for it and someday down the road probably sell it to a young local that doesn't have the money for a quad core setup.

Quads are above my pocket book taste too...an example is this item that is no longer available on TigerDirect but it sold out with rebates for around $649 I think...when I checked about a week and half ago

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1283&CatId=332

But with this one here that I have as a first learner for me now, and lucky even to have the resource here for help on sysopt.com even though it tests your all's patience in tips and knowledge...I am pretty sure it will get up and running smooth and clean and pretty enough to respect a little for the endeavorment...

any suggestions to know how to tell what size and specs to get for the Nvidia chip 3 wire/pin cooler?

Thanks again
    Last edited by djd_201; 07-24-2008 at 04:21 AM.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/evga_n...d/page_7.shtml

That fan is proprietary, so I'm not sure how you'd get a replacement unless you contact evga. Even replacing it with a third party heatsink is gonna be tough because of the location.

You better look at the socket 939s now, since they are out of production.

heck...give me some schooling here...I realize 939's are history and ancient just like all tech items...but when you say proprietary...do you mean this cooler fan has an onboard chip or something and only an eVGA cooler will work with temp monitoring on the board or something? Or that it merely needs a heat sink and fan that fits the 60mm span on the holes and a 3 wire plug? I'm wondering is all...be nice to find a dead board out there somewhere...or if its legacy...a cheap one.. I still can't get drivers for it...but betcha I snake some up somewhere just to keep this from being a sunken ship...either that or never buy an eVGA item...sounds to much like Mr Bill G controlling software by eliminating support...smiles

it's the physical size of the fan. it looks like it is embedded in the middle of the heatsink, not just sitting on top. The placement makes it difficult unless you have a really short video card. you can use whatever fan you want, but make sure it doesn't interfere with the video card.

why can't you get drivers? it's an nforce4 chipset. just grab them off the nvidia website.

the Nforce file doesn't handle everything...or I missed sumptin'...I saw and downloaded the NF41 or whatever...I hate to make it so confusing but really appreciate the help....I couldn't get the LAN drivers etc..sound...nuttin'

I hate to be such a pain in the B with the likes of this...and maybe it "is" a lost cause...

its hard for me to quit until its deader n a door-nail

I would a been looking for ropes to string sails on top of Noah's ark I guess..just for hope's sake...(just made myself giggle) and hate fer sure to admit that maybe I got jammed on a deal like this

I'm taking the fan apart tonight with my small screwdrivers just to disect the guts and see what ticks

Ma' ...my significant other slave driver...has me pre-occupied on her vehicle and house....

waitin' for Moses to deliver me...

forgive the comedy

PS...I dug in my bucket and pulled out an old Hercules Ati Radeon 128MB AGP video card....guess what...the fan was dead which was why it was in the bucket...but besides the two wire/pin...its exactly the same, same company, same make...I'll have to shoot some pics and send them just for the heck of it...thanks for putting up with me...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html

Installation Notes

* Uninstall any existing nForce networking drivers prior to installing this package.
    * Windows XP users must install Service Pack 1, at a minimum, prior to attempting to install this package. Failure to do so will result in the inability to support USB 2.0.
    * Installation of DirectX 9.0 or higher is required in order to use NVMixer.

Windows XP/2000 Driver Versions

* Audio Driver (v4.65) "WHQL"
    * Audio Utility (v4.51)
    * Ethernet Driver (v50.25) "WHQL"
    * Network Management Tools (v50.19)
    * SMBus Driver (v4.57) "WHQL"
    * Installer (v4.89)
    * WinXP IDE SataRAID Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"
    * WinXP IDE SataIDE Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"
    * WinXP RAIDTOOL Application (v6.63)
    Make sure to install your service packs FIRST. If it's a clean install, then you should be up to SP3.

Thanks for the link...I'll try it out as soon as I get this in....it sure looks like the one I need...3 wire and has a heat sink

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=012

got some messages back from the seller and the dimension seem right...

here's some photos of the eVGA fan and the hercules card

I wonder what the voltage supplied by the board and required by the fan are. I was hoping I get lucky since they are both Nvidia
    Attached Images Attached Images