Thread: Computer restaring, sometimes wont even boot fully, tried everything

Computer restaring, sometimes wont even boot fully, tried everything

Hey all,

I've already used search and no results, so plz dont send me to search again.

So I've got my PC, it was fine for a good while and it was restarting very rarely in summer time due to overheat, i figured that out. But recently, it just started restarting like very 10 to 15 mins or so. I havent done with it anything, no overclocking, no new stuff in it... nothing. I've had Windows XP on it, tried to reinstall to Windows Vista Ultimate. Still does the same thing, i thought it was a virus. No it wasent.

So maybe its overheat? nop, just bought a new PC case, Antec 900, with a new power supply, with a 20cm diameter fan plus 3 additional ones. Still does the same thing.

I changed the paste on my processor, changed my ram to a newer one, still does the same thing. Put back my old ram in different slots, still restarts... I've even took out the little battery in the motherboard, waited a while, put it back in... still does the same thing.

Now it even wont boot until the welcome screen. It just stops at my part where it shows what processor i have...i cant even go to the setup menu but when i could my processor temp was 48 to ~52 or so Celsius if that helps in any sort.

My configs, if needed, are:

Pentium D Dual Core Duo 2.80Ghz
    P5LP-LE-00 i think thats my motherboard serial or wtv
    GForce 7900 GS 512mb video card
    1GB of ram in 2 sticks
    I have a my hard drive of 250Gb plugged it, my speakers, media center (which i dont use, its just plugged in and nothing is connected to it) and 1 DVD writer and reader.

I have absolutely no idea what can it be, might it be a ram issue?, plz help my out here.

Thx
    Last edited by nec55; 08-05-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Sounds like an overheating problem, quite possibly with the video card. Have you verified that its fan is actually running, and running at the proper speed? If it's overheating before it can turn startup over to the motherboard BIOS you'll get just the symptoms you describe.
    Thank God we're not getting all of the government we're paying for!

it cant be my video card... it was running just fine before and while the Pc was restarting, cz i had some time to use it while it's restarting started to happen. its not the vid cz the pipe cooling system it all working fine (its not a fan that i have, its a pipe cooling system) and i didnt had any graphics issues. It's temp is normal at 45 to 47 Celsius and it has a fan just beside it where i plug in my screen and on the side of the PC, the fan on the left wall of the computer... i dont think its overheating
    Last edited by nec55; 08-05-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Pentium D and Core Duo are two different chips. I think you mean Pentium D, which is dual core.

you said you got a new case. did you double check for extra standoffs under the board? did you test the motherboard outside of the case on a nonconductive surface?

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    Pentium D and Core Duo are two different chips. I think you mean Pentium D, which is dual core.

you said you got a new case. did you double check for extra standoffs under the board? did you test the motherboard outside of the case on a nonconductive surface?
    uhmm ya sry its a Pentium D, not the other thing i wrote... what are standoffs under the board? and no i didnt check the board outside the PC, but it was working fine, before the restarting begun in my other case.

Standoffs are the little brass screw pegs that you mount the motherboard on.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/tuto...ss/DIYMB_5.htm

if you have extras under the board, they could be grounding out the board.

ohh those... i had the space for them when i was putting the motherboard in the new case... i've only put the ones i needed, not more or less... i dont think its them touching or scraping my board.

bump.... any ideas what can it be?

did you check for bad caps on the motherboard?
    http://www.badcaps.net/

only connect the cpu, ram, video and psu, then see how it goes.