Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mouse Freezes Constantly

Mouse Freezes Constantly

One of our computers is having some very strange issues. The mouse constantly freezes up on it. We have checked everything possible. It is practically a brand new system. There is a new motherboard (Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe). The memory, CPU and video cards have all been tested on there own. This computer is not used on the Internet and it is seperate from our network so it is very unlikely that it would have a virus.

Here is what is happening:

If you leave the computer sit for 3-4 minutes then the mouse will move freely for about 30 seconds. Then it will freeze for about 20 seconds then move for a few more before it completely freezes again. Then if you let it sit for 3-4 minutes again, it will do the same thing all over again. We are running XP Pro x64.

If anyone has any suggestions we would really appreciate it.

Bob
    Last edited by amerifax; 07-29-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added OS

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Have you replaced the mouse yet?

Not a bad fix for $5 or so.

Mouse asnd key board replaced. Tried cordless and cord. Also different mfg.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Is it a USB or PS/2 mouse?

We tried them both. Also different brands.

I just had that happen to me and then some recently. I think its some form of driver conflicts. Trying ot think just what i did to correct the issue as i was rebooting and cleaning out stuff ike IE temp. folder and or some cookies.. etc... I know the first thing i always do is run 'chkdsk' to see if any of the OS is corrupted. In my case, it found a couple of errors and fixed them. Also, go into your programs, esp. new ones and see what if any new programs you've installed lately might be causing this.

For some odd reason mine started, right after i installed 'Firefox of all things. Thats odd huh? I uninstalled it and that helped. Maybe just a coincidence. I also remember i went into the bios and set it for maximum defaults, and i think that took care of it.

Its also quite possible that a virus or trojan got ahold of ya. These are the type of things that might happen if infected. Do you have a Firewall and AV installed? I hope so. Run your AV check and re-set your firewall also for program permissions.

I also go into the 'control panel'/HW and check and update USB drivers and hubs. check that out..

Sometimes rebooting and reseting defaults and bootup might get it going again.

After i did some or all of the above, i'm happy to say some things along thsose lines worked for me. Running top notch once again. LOL
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 07-30-2008 at 05:35 AM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Tried all the above.

We just reinstalled the system. Guess what! Still not woreking right. We got the card mfg to replace card. When you think of it it seems when mouse is moved the screen has to refresh. The mfg thinks it is most likely the memory. I agree. After we replace the card all that is left to replace is me. So I hope this works.

Bob

Most logical first thing to do in troubleshooting is to try another mouse and see if that works OK. If so, then its the mouse. LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Middle Age Member
    Did you resolve the problem? I am thinking a possible cause could be resource sharing with the video device, another thought is that a problem with the video driver and the 64 bit version of Windows could exist. Check the resources used by the video device and if shared by another device see if you can make them exclusive in BIOS, also try the Windows generic VGA driver and see if you still have the same problem, this should at least let you know if it is driver related.

Look in the event logs under system for any errors with the source of disk. Anything there?

Access the Bios
    Legacy USB / UPnP...check or uncheck them...save and reboot.
    watch your troubles dissapear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In my experience, an intermittently freezing mouse is almost always a failing hard drive.

Run a diagnostic on the hard drive. Use a DOS version from a bootable CD/floppy.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    In my experience, an intermittently freezing mouse is almost always a failing hard drive.

Run a diagnostic on the hard drive. Use a DOS version from a bootable CD/floppy.
    Amen

Sure appreciate all the help above. We have turned the Legacy USB off. How does this affect the system? Will USB still work? As far as the hard drive, I sure think I need to look into this. What diagnostics would that be?

I have posted this message in many different places and Sysopt is the only one that gave me access to some real solid content.

Thanks again,

Bob

The diagnostic program for the brand of hard drive you have.
    MS MCP, MCSE