I got working a "new" kernel packed in rpm format under
debian! Great! First i converted it using alien
(alien kernel-2.2.14-2.rpm -d)
... then i installed and seems to be working.
A little drawback is that i have to put a boot parameter in the
c:\> loadlin vmlinuz22 root=/dev/hda1
But i put it on a batch file, and it works!
I know that alien is not meant to convert critical packages as kernels ones, but i had no opt. Will it be really working all the way???
cool -- did you have any problem with other kernel specific packages/modules? Usually when I upgrade the kernel it breaks the Nvidia driver on my systems -- no problem really I just run the installer again...
glad to see another Linux user -though I've never been a big fan of Debian
AND why are you using loadlin? Why boot Windows to boot Linux?
george@SuSE-10-3:~> uname -a;cat /proc/cpuinfo;free;df
Linux SuSE-10-3 220.127.116.11-31-default #1 SMP 2007/09/21 22:29:00 UTC i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
stepping : 9
cpu MHz : 2661.802
cache size : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm constant_tsc up pni monitor ds_cpl tm2 cid cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 5330.69
clflush size : 64
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1035784 582172 453612 0 33796 358192
-/+ buffers/cache: 190184 845600
Swap: 1261092 0 1261092
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 51613016 4776916 44214296 10% /
udev 517892 80 517812 1% /dev
/dev/sda3 50023636 184272 47298284 1% /Data-Storage
/dev/sda2 51767824 19397756 32370068 38% /home
Last edited by CMonster; 08-10-2008 at 06:13 AM.
A lot of troubles with installed modules ... even those who never wanted to be installed in the first place! jaja. Dmesg -> "unresolved symbols ..."
Tried to reinstall kernel sources, modules, etc. ... finally seems to be ok .... 2 eth modules loaded don´t know how really ....
I used loadlin cuz old lilo i have mess up things in master boot records even to refuse sys opt beyond 1024 cyl ... (xp boot loader don´t)
I used loadlin cuz old lilo i have (21-4 i guess) mess up things in master boot records even to refuse sys opt beyond 1024 cyl ... (xp boot loader don´t) And besides it doesn´t really cost to much to boot win98 in ms-dos mode, just a couple of seconds ... then lin.bat (a batch file containing loadlin vmlinuz22 root=/dev/hda1) and that´s all!
Another issue is to start X .... with ps/2 mouse support ... Perhaps would be better with XFree86 version 4. I´ll try.