Thread: "media box"

"media box"

alright so a friend of mine sent me an email as follows:

"id like an external harddisk that has the capacity to hook up to a tv through scart-cable; the red, white and yellow cables and a monitor cable. this device should have its own software to use it without a computer and directly on the tv. no less than 250GB space should be available (i want to eliminate the need for burning dvd's that just erodes my cd-drive).. i dont know exactly how its called but the term i heard was media-box. but it should be much cheaper there given the fact that in the whole basel only two models exist and the cheapest one costs 500CHF (apparently nobody want them here because they all have new digital tvs that you can hook up to a computer)... so please check if you can find this..
    -external harddisk with
    -special cables
    -software integrated to use without PC
    -around 250GB (the more the better)"

i looked a little on newegg.. but im not sure exactly what nor where to get it from.....
    thanks

Most of the media boxes I've seen are miniITX, microATX, or Shuttle-type systems, but that's not what you are asking for.

If you can find an old Xbox, I know guys that have converted them into media boxes. You can put in a bigger HD too.
    http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-...ter-299809.php

Some people call them media centers, so try searching for that also.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    It doesn't matter what you call it, but it is still a computer of some type. Why not do it with a standard PC and make it future upgradable?

There is nothing like buying a proprietary system and then it breaks right after the warranty expires.

P.S.: Burning CDs and DVDs do NOT erode the drive. The lasers do wear out over time just like all the other parts (including hard drives).

my friend doesnt have an xbox nor is he a computer person so thats not really an option. i also recommended him to buy a standard pc, but apparently he found one already in switzerland and wanted to know if a cheaper one was available in the U.S., since i'm visiting him soon.
    could you send me a link to one of those "miniITX, microATX, or Shuttle-type systems", midknyte?
    thanks a bunch

I can't really give you a link, since they are not prebuilt systems. What I meant was that I've seen other people set up those smaller systems as HTPC boxes. You could broaden the search to HTPC, but those are usually more like a Tivo.

If you don't want to load a full windows or linux OS, you can try this:
    http://www.geexbox.org/en/index.html

do you know if tivo could be used in switzerland with any cable or satellite company?

I'm not sure about Tivo subscriptions in Switzerland. I live in the US.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loAol
    do you know if tivo could be used in switzerland with any cable or satellite company?

Since we are all in the US and your friend is in Switzerland, then your friend should do all the legwork and find out what is available that works in his area. If we recommend something and it doesn't work, who will your friend blame for wasting his money?

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    If we recommend something and it doesn't work, who will your friend blame for wasting his money?
    you obviously

i'll let him know..
    thanks guys