Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another new mouse for me.. its a keeper

Another new mouse for me.. its a keeper

Kind of feel dumb relaying this point first, but awhile back i posted about when i first got the MX Revolution mouse. Since its not fair nor accurate to rate a mouse before using it for all apps. and other for awhile, I first rated it as five star. That was a little pre-mature of me. lol I since have sold that one on 'Craigs List' the first day i posted the ad for like $40.00 to some guy here in town.

Today i got my replacement ordered from NewEgg, the 'MX518' gaming mouse. This time i'm absolutely sure this is a winner. This was in truth my first thought and choice way back, but got talked into something else after believing the hype about all the other mice out there. I wanted a cordless, which was my only thought at the time. Wrong!

This mouse is by all accounts on the top tier of all the mice "Logitech' has put forth to date STILL. It is also the only one that garners 99.9 % five star ratings, which is absurd but a nice fact.

The mouse is just a dream. The best and most accurate and smoothest mouse i've ever used. It's alot like my old MX700 cordless in size ( about the same modeling minus some features and DPI plus ), but it is just solid. Thus far , it seems to be quicker at even opening any folders or anything else, making my computer just a bit more responsive.

Yeah.. these type reviews have been around for a long time now for this mouse, but in case somebody out there wants a new mouse, at a measly $40.00, it is just an absolute steal. Software works well too.

Now that i got that out of the way.., lets get on to some other new piece of HW heh?
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 07-17-2008 at 11:20 PM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Ultimate Member
    You and your mice

All it needs is a wheel and two buttons if you ask me Been using the same £7.99 Logitech Ball Mouse for over four years now!

--Carl
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]

Just before i got this one. i pulled out my old MS optical blue and was using that for like a few days till this arrived. TBH, it worked OK, but the wheel did ot click, nor changed any mode. I need that feature.I game alot and i do need a decent mouse. Geexe, some people her and i would say ALOT update more things then i do. I'm still using a six year old sound card, and this next month i'm finally getting a new case. This one is still OK, but its like seven years old. Over time, any piece of HW gets worn or used. Some pieces need to be updated to keep up with the times, and all hte HW and OS updates.

Its a sweet mouse , just the same. I find it funny that a eighty dollar highly marketed mouse is worse then one made over four or five years ago. Its true though.

I was just thinking the other day that its typ. here in America over all, that we are a class of society that changes things just for change, and not always for the better. OMG!.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

I use the MX518 on my main rig and the MX310 on my secondary machine as well as my laptop. They work sweet! Gaming is nice and the MX310 is just the right size for a laptop mouse as far as I'm concerned.
    kevrob1

Peace Go With You...

I imagine it works OK, but i'm not thrilled with thier 'Setpoint software. Seems at times it can get buggy. The 'speed/DPI' on the fly is a brilliant touch. Like it said, previous i had my old MX700 for over six years and loved it. This is relatively the exact same shell with more features. Just a very nice looking and reacting mouse.

Ultimate Member
    That looks like a nice mouse .. better than the MX1000 I have now.
    But it is not wireless, which I would prefer. And I would need to feel
    it in the store to see if the shape / size / buttons are comfortable for
    me. For my work laptop, I bought an LX7 laser wireless mouse. It
    is not too big a mouse and it had 2 extra buttons I was able to custom
    keystroke for use with some of our apps that do not use normal right
    click cut & paste functions. (they still like ctrl + c & ctrl + v) .. Runs on 2
    AA battery and they lasted about 8 months. Not bad.

I have tried the MX1000, and still to this day would love to have one. Problem is they don't make them anymore, nor sell them anywhere retail. On 'EBay' they go f upwards from $85.00 on up to $200.00 or so. That makes them a collector item for sure.

The mouse in all honesty is just about that same size, maybe slightly smaller but not much. You would love it, corded or not. I too used to garnish cordless, but i like the fact that I never have to worry about batteries at all, or charging, and the cord for this is very flexible. I got mine taped in a spot under my tower desk, and the cord is not a factor. Just a sweet ride for a mouse. lol

I have a couple of MX510's, a MX 518, a MX Revolution, a MX 1000, and my favorite a Logitech G5 (I have two). The G5 and 518 are very similar, but the G5 is a Laser with a customizable weight set so you can change the balance and heft some.

The Revolution has a shorter operational time till you have to recharge, seems a smidgen small to me, but Wow that side wheel is super when working on one computer with ten or twelve windows open. you can scroll back and forth between pages with real speed, much better than the navigation bar. It's a laser too which seems better over more surfaces

The MX 1000 retains a charge seemingly forever. It is bigger and heftier. I love it as a wireless. Much better for me than the MX 700 or even the Revolution for most things. Also a Laser where the MX 700 was optical.

The G5 is wired (A mouse with a tail) but it is my main squeeze.
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    You and your mice

All it needs is a wheel and two buttons if you ask me Been using the same £7.99 Logitech Ball Mouse for over four years now!

--Carl
    Jakki Jakki Jakki... That is so ungeeklike! The shame of it all!
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

Ultimate Member
    Haha, actually im a bit of a paradox like that, i'm not a particularly geeky person - indeed i tend to struggle to get along with most "computer people" believe it or not!

I've personally always had a bit of a hard time financially (particularly at the moment!), as such for me the big money is always allocated to the important stuff: CPU, Memory, Gfx and to a lesser extent Motherboard.

Peripheral devices are waaaay down that list -- to be fair, i'll spank most people at Quake 3 - regardless of what mouse im using!

i've been using the same el-cheapo entry level Logitech Keyboard/Mouse for almost five years now, and the only thing that'll prompt me to upgrade is if they break (fatal last words!)

--Carl
    "You don't know Jakk..."

Windows Vista Business x64
    Hiper 580Watt PSU -- Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L -- Intel Core2Quad 6600 -- 4GB PC6400 -- 256MB GeForce FX7800GT
    SATA-II HDD 1x500Gb/1x400GB/1x250GB-- 1x120GB ATA-100 HDD
    [/B]

Ultimate Member
    When I got my MX1000 about Dec 20006 it was $60 from Amazon and it came with a rebate for about $15 to mail in (which I did collect on) .. so it made the mouse reasonable in cost .. on Ebay they were going for upwards of $80 and for that price it would still be there.

Bigjakkstaffa,

The operative word being Logitech! Ok maybe the operative word being cheap! I also have to make an effort to get along with the geekiest of computer people...
    kevrob1

Peace Go With You...

yeah.. its like the samo.. in real world terms. Whatever suits your fancy. I guess its why they make so many mice out there. If one couldn't find one they liked, there's something wrong with that person.

Even though alot of these are typ. for gamers it seems, most are still great and capable mice for any reason. One thing the MX518 has that others don't is the on the fly sensitivity. From 800 on up to 1800 DPI. One little button push and instant gratification

The G5 would have been my other choice, and yes monies had something to do with it. Like Jak, I have to be as thrifty as possible at times. I just think its a steal at $40.00. Best mouse for that price period.

Hate to tell you I paid $25 each for two G5 SE "Battlefield 2142" mice on E-Bay, new. and they are adjustable like the 518. Really I just like the extra heft I could get with the G5, not a lot better just a refinement I would say.

I did have several MS optical Intellimice fail, but I have one Intellimouse Pro (Ball Mouse) that is super for a Ball mouse, big and hefty (Like me)

I really favor Logitech, I had one problem with my MX700 (Pointer sometimes being skitterish) and called Logitech one month prior to the warranty expiring and they sent me the MX revolution as a replacement. I did not have to turn the MX 700 back in (Not that I want to use it anymore with the glitch, but it was as hassle free service as I have seen.)

And yes "Skitterish" is a word in the Panda dictionary.

In the end i just hated the MX Revoution. I think its the most overated mouse out there. It may well be great for document flips, but tht is just where i had problems, esp. in games. I could never get the software to agree on anything as stable. It is not a gamng mouse for those thinking of buying one. The other thing i hated was if you shook it a little you could hear the insides rattle around. The middle button was real hard to press down to change anything in mode, and that was a drag.
    The topping on the cake was when i was playing my favorite golf game. The design of it esp. on the left side i felt was a bit overextended. Kind of overdone. Trime that down about a quarter of an inch and it would be much better. Overall, the feel was not to my liking.
    Honest.. 'Pandaz', a while back i had the G5 as my pick, but i gather some earlier models were glitchy and so i did not want to take a chance.

Alls real well though. I absolutely love this mouse. lol